Sign in with
Your question

Extreme hot temperatures on XFX 8800GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2008 9:04:41 AM

I got my new GFX card yesterday (XFX 8800GT 512MB XXX "Alpha Dog Edition") and ive been testing some games today. I run the fan on 100% and I get 50-55C idle. I installed Crysis and played for 2 hours on maximum settings (no AA) and my card got up to 90C!!!! Is this normal or is something wrong? Once I had exited the game it dropped pretty fast to 60 and it is still lowering but slowish.
June 1, 2008 9:54:16 AM

Maybe a little high but nothing to worry about.
GFX cards reach far higher temps than CPUs.

U can always look at an aftermarket cooler, as the single slot coolers are generally ****.
June 1, 2008 12:00:41 PM

Crysis heats cards up like no other game....90 is a bit toasty, but nothing to get too alarmed about. Why dont you try manually setting the fan speed in rivatuner. Normally the fan speed never reaches 60% by itself so if you manually set it you should be able to cool things down.
Related resources
June 1, 2008 12:03:05 PM

unfortunately it is normal and i hate it! and that's why i bought a zalman vf900 cooler for my 8800gt and has brought the idle temp down into the low/mid 40s.

and use arcticsilver5 as well!
a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2008 12:08:55 PM

Take it back, tell them it overheats.
Then get an 8800GTS 512 meg card for the same money that is faster, has more stream processors, and much better cooling.
June 1, 2008 12:19:19 PM

jitpublisher said:
Then get an 8800GTS 512 meg card for the same money that is faster, has more stream processors, and much better cooling.

i second that if it can be done!
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 1, 2008 1:09:43 PM

jitpublisher said:

And they will tell you to get stuffed as that is a perfectly normal temp for that card and it can survive hotter temps than that! :kaola: 
June 1, 2008 5:27:06 PM

Might not be so relevant for Nvidia users, but a few years ago over on driverheaven.net, the forum members got to ask Sir Eric Demers, an ATI engineer, about those high GFX temps.

"I posed the temperature question to one of ATIs top engineers Eric "sireric" Demers, this is what he had to say.

"At over 100C or so at the die temperature, thermal issues and possibilities of permanent damage start being important (I would strive to keep it below 100C). Certainly by 125C, permanent damage will occur. Below, that, life expectancy is shortened with higher temperature, but you should be fine for a few years.

We test our boards up to 55C ambient temperature, and at that temperature, all of them work fine. Most computers have much lower ambient temperature, and the associated die temperature should be fine, except if there is a fan failure."

http://www.driverheaven.net/ati-graphic-cards/47964-ati...

I still happen to think these temps are nuts though.....
a c 140 U Graphics card
June 2, 2008 2:00:41 PM

XFX has a lifetime warranty. Just run keep it stock and run it all you want. If it breaks you are entitled to a replacement. Just my thoughts. That is what I plan to do with my GTS but it doesnt get hot at all. Some of the NEWer xfx coolers REALLY suck. the stock gt cooler seems better.
!