Thermalright 120 Black Info Please

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying one of these but I need a few questions answered:

1. Will this HSF perform better than my Xigmatek HDT-S1283?

2. Is it any much taller than the Xigmatek since the Xigmatek gives a 2 or 3mm gap from my side door?

3. Can it be orientated to be facing to the rear exhaust since AM2 sockets face towards the PSU.

Thanks for your input.

1. Both heatsinks produce almost identical results. There is very little difference:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

2. I am not sure about size. Perhaps someone else has that answer.

3. The ThermalRight Ultra series is oriented front to back inside the case. The fan on the front of the heatsink blows air toward the rear. The fan on the rear panel of the case exhausts hot air from the heatsink.

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Just read up a bit. The xig is 159mm and the true at 160.5 so it looks alright.
I will be adding two 100cfm fans as a push pull on the hsf as I've read it beats nearly all the other coolers. Please note a xigmatek is better on an intel system than a true whereas the xigmatek is 9th place in the top coolers for amd at frostytech

Yes, there are differences in temperatures. However, the differences are usually very small. I'll use my builds as an example. I have built systems with the original ThermalRight Ultra 120. For my newest build I decided to try the CoolerMaster 212 simply because it has excellent mounting brackets for two 120mm fans. The mounting brackets are far superior to the mounting clips for the original Ultra 120. Before I bought it I checked technical reviews and knew the CM120 would probably produce temperatures that were 1 or 2 degrees Celsius higher than the 120. For all practical purposes the difference was insignificant. I had a cpu heatsink that was very easy to install, worked like it was supposed to, and I was a happy camper.

WOW! 100 cfm fans are probably going to generate a lot of noise. If you want to improve airflow and cooling, then mount a third matching fan to the rear panel. It will help create a nice wind tunnel effect.

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I have got a Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000rpm as my rear fan so it works out to be the same.

I know, my system does create a tad bit of noise at the moment but I can live with it, it's not so bad.

I'm just thinking now....

The True Black comes with Chill Factor 2 thermal paste, would this be better than as5?

I don't really like the burn in time and seen reviews and so on that it doesn't make too much of a difference. Just wondering if it is a top rated thermal paste?