producting your own HD material

If you were to produce your own HD material, what kind of technology would
you be looking at using for this? Obviously, you start with an HD camera
(unless you're strictly doing computer generated rendering). What kinds of
cameras would you prefer for this?

How would you record this before editing? Tape? DVR? DVD?

What kind of editing would you do? Any particular NLE software you know
to be fully HD capable?

What kind of PC I/O connection would you use to get video in and back out?
Firewire from the camera (from however it records if that is integrated)?
DVD output (what this becomes available)? What if you were outputting to
broadcast or cablecast in HD ... what media output/storage would you use?

Consider these questions over a range from low end consumer to mid range
professional (up to about small scale broadcaster perhaps). I'm looking
for what people prefer (and how they combine their preferences). Since
this is more about the technology choices and HD, as opposed to production
methods, I'm asking here instead of rec.video.production (in case you are
wondering why I didn't post there).

More about producting material

    phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    > If you were to produce your own HD material, what kind of technology would
    > you be looking at using for this? Obviously, you start with an HD camera
    > (unless you're strictly doing computer generated rendering). What kinds of
    > cameras would you prefer for this?
    >
    > How would you record this before editing? Tape? DVR? DVD?
    >
    > What kind of editing would you do? Any particular NLE software you know
    > to be fully HD capable?

    What is NLE??

    I would buy one of the consumer HD cameras, dump the data into a huge
    hard drive, edit it on the computer, and... not sure what you do with
    it after that! Until HD DVDs come around...

    Larry Bud wrote:
    > phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    >
    >>If you were to produce your own HD material, what kind of technology would
    >>you be looking at using for this? Obviously, you start with an HD camera
    >>(unless you're strictly doing computer generated rendering). What kinds of
    >>cameras would you prefer for this?
    >>
    >>How would you record this before editing? Tape? DVR? DVD?
    >>
    >>What kind of editing would you do? Any particular NLE software you know
    >>to be fully HD capable?
    >

    > What is NLE??

    Non-linear editing.

    > I would buy one of the consumer HD cameras, dump the data into a huge
    > hard drive, edit it on the computer, and... not sure what you do with
    > it after that! Until HD DVDs come around...

    Apple sells the Final Cut Studio edition for about $1k. That gives you
    everything you need to edit HD footage, do compositing, do sophisticated
    sound processing/editing and author DVDs. I'm not sure what cameras are
    available now for native HD shooting. I still use my old warhorse JVC
    GY-DV500's with Fujinon lenses. Unless you have an actual need to
    produce things in HD format, it's probably a lot more cost effective to
    stick to consumer/prosumer DV cameras.

    Cheers,

    <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote in message
    > If you were to produce your own HD material, what kind of technology would
    > you be looking at using for this? Obviously, you start with an HD camera
    > (unless you're strictly doing computer generated rendering). What kinds
    > of
    > cameras would you prefer for this?

    As far as I know, there is presently only one consumer level HDTV camcorder.
    Made by Sony, and goes for $1600. You could go to the Sony web site and
    download the user manual to see what some of the options are. It might be
    possible to edit a tape and then write it back to a blank tape in the
    camera. The manual should also discuss software that they supply or sell. If
    you just want 16:9 480i, Canon makes several. You can burn these to DVD.

    Tam

    On 22 Aug 2005 05:46:26 -0700 Larry Bud <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

    | phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    |> If you were to produce your own HD material, what kind of technology would
    |> you be looking at using for this? Obviously, you start with an HD camera
    |> (unless you're strictly doing computer generated rendering). What kinds of
    |> cameras would you prefer for this?
    |>
    |> How would you record this before editing? Tape? DVR? DVD?
    |>
    |> What kind of editing would you do? Any particular NLE software you know
    |> to be fully HD capable?
    |
    | What is NLE??

    Non-Linear Editor.

    | I would buy one of the consumer HD cameras, dump the data into a huge
    | hard drive, edit it on the computer, and... not sure what you do with
    | it after that! Until HD DVDs come around...

    Hopefully all that content protection junk won't hinder being able to
    record your own HD stuff.

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:43:03 -0400 Tam/WB2TT <t-tammaru@c0mca$t.net> wrote:

    | <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote in message
    |> If you were to produce your own HD material, what kind of technology would
    |> you be looking at using for this? Obviously, you start with an HD camera
    |> (unless you're strictly doing computer generated rendering). What kinds
    |> of
    |> cameras would you prefer for this?
    |
    | As far as I know, there is presently only one consumer level HDTV camcorder.
    | Made by Sony, and goes for $1600. You could go to the Sony web site and
    | download the user manual to see what some of the options are. It might be
    | possible to edit a tape and then write it back to a blank tape in the
    | camera. The manual should also discuss software that they supply or sell. If
    | you just want 16:9 480i, Canon makes several. You can burn these to DVD.

    For stuff at home, I don't care about 16:9. The fact that the display will
    be 16:9 would make me want to fill it up. But I'd have been happier with 4:3
    for home made stuff, if I can get higher definition. Of course the content
    industry is driving everything to 16:9, so we/I just have to live with it.

    Someone will eventually crack HDCP, so we'll end up recording HD somewhere,
    somehow, even if we have to re-digitize the analog.

HDTV HD Home Theatre