Digital Capture and SSDs

pp51dodo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hey all,

I'm a digital tech for a proffesional fashion photographer. We shoot with the phase1 P45+, p25 as a backup, and soon the P65...
Big files, big megapixels, and he likes to shoot fast - the back is essentially constantly capturing.

I have had a hell of a time finding benchmarks and info on ssd's in a raid 0 (2/3 drives) used with this hardware. Need to increase battery life when shooting to our laptops, and certainly need to figure out the bottlenecks that we have, and eliminate them, thank god cost isnt much of an issue.

Am looking to buy 8+ SSD's when the intel x25m G2 finally drops. That is if it is the magic bullet i want it to be, or anything near it. I believe, really know, that sustained write speed is our major problem, and both read an write speed when processing out 2000+ images on location in multiple formats, Tiff and JPGs generally.

we need speed and capacity,

was thinking for our laptops, 17" Macbooks Pros, 1 is the latest gen and the others are the previous generation:

swap out the optical drive and throw in another hard drive, use one ssd for the OS and Apps, and the other to capture two

for our towers, 8core Macpros 3+ghz on all of them, 32 gigs ram etc..., that we use on the studio and locations where we have reliable power, was thinking of buying a kit to add room for four more drives, raid 0 (2 drives) for os and apps, raid 0+1 6 drives (3 and 3) to capture and process to, or 8 drives in a raid 0+1 and throw the OS and Capture all on the same set.

Would love your thoughts, and benchmarks if someone has them, dont want to drop a few grand on ssd's if 300gig raptors would do the trick, at least for the tower.

Thanks