Torn between IMAC and XPS M1730

Hello all :) hope u are fine :)

well i have made my desicion that i wont get a console, and because the XPS M1730 and the new IMAC arent availabe here in IRAN,i am telling my uncle to bring me one to me from UK, i have the budget of 1500GBP

1_Apple IMAC
24" 1920x1200 resolution, 2.8 or 3.06 CPU, 4GB RAM .320GB HDD. Nvidia Geforce 8800GS (which is a downclocked desktop 8800GT because its 192bit) with OS X LEOPARD

2_Dell XPS M1730
17" 1920x1200 resolution,Intel Core2Duo T7700 @ 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 2x 8800MGTX with VISTA PREMIUM

Well if i go with the MAC, i will learn how to work with a new OS, also it has alot of features that windows doesnt have and it doesnt have the driver issues of windows. but the games arent very muchh for apple, however there is a software called CrossOver which lets u to run some apps on OS X which arent supported and it currently supports 154 games which is good also its not only for games it supports some windows apps too
So with this config i can play any game at good settings

If i go with the Dell, i will have the protability, better GPU, better game support but still it will be windows and has some issues

So what do u recommend? do u recommend any other option for this budget?

I have read some reviews and many of them say OS X LEOPARD is better than VISTA:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/27/leopard-vs-vista-feature-chart-showdown/

Final score
Leopard: 46
Vista: 41

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/software/leopard-vs-vista.aspx?pid=9

Even with the performance and stability improvements promised with Vista's first service pack, the tide was turning in Apple's favor even before the launch of Leopard. That's because of Mac OS X' ease of use, lack of crapware, and stronger security. Now that Leopard is here, we predict that many more consumers will be making the jump to Apple. The OS' improvements aren't on the same level as the leap to Vista was from Windows XP, but they didn't need to be. Leopard enhances what was already a stellar operating system with several welcome usability improvements and bells and whistles, which will make it that much harder for Windows users to ignore.

I really want to buy a thing and then say i WISH i had done this/that

BTW, Remember i am giving my rig (E6600 @ 3.2+8800GTX+4GB RAM ) to my sister

thanx alot

azncoduyen

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
You can use bootcamp to install window and play games. I tried crossover and it pretty much sucks. But depending on what you use, it could be fast. From my experience, using OSX is frustrating for the first 3 hours. If you go into the mindset that everything is similar to windows, you would have a problem. But after that everything seems to be simple and easy to use. Good luck with your choice. Oh I forgot... if you want to play games, pick the stronger candidate. Because I don't you can upgrade the graphic card. You are pretty much stuck with it. Good luck!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
It depends on what you want to do with the computer.

For gaming, the Dell will be better; it runs Windows, and the dual 8800GTXs will be faster than the 8800GS in the Mac. Also, being a laptop, the Dell is (relatively) portable (LAN party!).

The question of which operating system is up to you. There aren't many games for OSX, and it seems senseless to get a Mac, then turn around and install Windows on it. If you've been using Windows your whole life, then OSX will probably be more difficult to use (at least for a while), because you're not used to it. Also, there is no crap software preinstalled on Dell XPS machines.

Personally, I'd go for the Dell.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I can't stop laughing whenever I see people praising Macs for having no crapware and never having virus issues. Just wait until a few more yuppie fools buy Macs, and Macs have a decent share of the computer market. Then you will see Apple whoring itself out to crapware vendors and virus programmers will start writing code for leopard. Obscurity is the only reason why macs may seem better then a pc. When it loses that obscurity (which will be soon), macs will seem just as bad if not more so then PCs.

@ Maziar: This is a computer enthusiast forum. We like to build computers ourselves. Asking us whether Dell or Apple is better is like asking Palestine if they like Israel or the U.S. more.

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008

He said it right if you get a mac and turn around and install windows on it you might was well get a windows machine. Also the dell will do better with games. If you like the Mac osx interface more though and are not as computer inclined then the mac is definetly a good machine with very few driver problems and virus's that mac is a good computer for someone that does not need the cutting edge in speed and technology.

My personal preference the dell because of its portability and gaming ability.

Tough choice.
The Dell was ranked last winter as the best performing gaming laptop you could buy, even beating offerings by Alienware.
It scored around 8500 in 3dmark 06. Not overly impressive for a gaming system, but good enough to play the most modern games at medium settings. If you wanted a gaming machine, and prefered for what ever reason to do it on a laptop, this is probably as good as it gets.

IMHO, if you want to game the Dell is a superior choice to the I-mac.

Even the Dell though is going to leave you a little disappointed being used to your old desktop.

a little disappointed ? i think u meant the old M1730 with 8700M GT the config that i want has 2 8800MGTX and :
2 8800MGTX will beat my current 8800GTX in almost every game the main issue is the T7700 which is slower than my E6600 @ 3.2

elmomeo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Man it's no secret. U'll have more games directly available for the Dell.

If u go for the MAC there is a slight hassle of installing XP with bootcamp. But this only applies to gaming.

As for the portability, u shud know wat u wanna do. If u r in to LAN parties go for da Dell.

MAC is also a cool piece of equipment to show off :)

P.S. When ur sister is done with the old rig can I have it :p

TRENDING THREADS