Kyure

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Hey guys, first time post here. Had a question that I've been trying to figure out all night and I think I've found the problem...but just wanted to run it through some other minds to see if I may be right.

So today I went out and got a new Processor, i was looking at getting the Intel Q6600 Quad Core and ended up walking out of the store with a slightly better Q9300. I got it home, dropped it on my Mobo which is a Gigabyte 965P-S3, pushed the button, cleared the CMOS, and then it turned it on. It then kicked into gear...But thats all it did. It seemed as though all the fans and harddrives kicked on but that nothing was happening internally as the Bios never kicked on, nor the graphics to even tell the monitor that there was something to display. It just seemed to sit idle but running (vegetative state i could call it)

So i tinkered around and fiddled with this and that and then stumbled on a tidbit of information when looking at the component specs. Here's the discrepency that i found:

Motherboard: Supports 1066mhz FSB
Intel Q6600 (the card i was gonna get): FSB 1066mhz
Intel Q9300 (the card i ended up getting): FSB 1333mhz

Do you think the reason why nothing is happening is because the differences in the FSB? Gigabyte tells me that it can run a Quad core processor, and they are the same socket types (775) so i know thats not the issue. I know the 9300 works as i got it to work on another board which has a FSB of 1333.

Thanks in advance for any clarification or "Yeah duh thats the problem" answers. Cause thats all i need.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go pick up that 6600 since it is 1066 and therefore...should very well work without a hitch.

slickjr169

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2457

"Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz 6MB Yorkfield 45nm M1 65W 1333 F13i
(Non official support) "

Straight from the gigabyte cpu support list for your motherboard. The 965 chipset is an aged chipset and I doubt that it will get a revision to support 45nm processors.

I suggest you go back to the store you got the Q9300 from and swap out for the Q6600 or pick up a new chipset motherboard

Kyure

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Yeah i actually was just seeing that myself, I annoyed some computer nerdy friends of mine who said basically the same thing. Ive got the rev1.0 of the motherboard so i cant even upgrade it to the FSB1333 (which was a bios patch put out for the rev3.3 boards only)

I guess Im taking it back and picking up that 6600...funny...that that was the CPU I was originally going to the store to get in the first place. Grumblecakes.

Thanks for the info though! You answered just what I needed to know!

Kyure

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Now...If someone could just point me in the direction of how to upgrade the Bios to F10 so i can actually use the CPU tomorrow...

Kyure

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Found the program @Bios on the gigabyte site and used it to patch to F10 which is what they say is the patch needed to be compatible with a Q6600.

From what i can tell...I am in the go for making this work tomorrow when i can get the processor exchanged.