Separating OS on a scsi along a sata 3.0

good_sergio

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I have a caviar black 32MB 1TB, two scsi, 72 and 146GB.

Should I install XP64 and many 3D programs on the old scsi 146?

Does it worth it? since the caviar dual processor intelligent seeking with cache power is quite powerful.

thanks

I know It wont stripe, that would be on the next workstation. Now I want it to be reliable, and gaining speed where I can.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
What's the model number of the two SCSI drives?
If they're two generations behind current generation (e.g. Cheetah 15K.5) then they'll be most likely be slower than your Caviar Black 1TB under the usage you've described.

good_sergio

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I dont have access to # atm.
All I can tell is that they both are 15K

The workstation is a XW9300 with dual Opteron 280, and they maybe came with it from beginning, telling me that they should be slow/old.

I guess I should stay clean with a single caviar.

In that case, should I do partitions? I read about that and there is too much info. Any suggestions?

3D apps, rendering frames, tutorials and movies.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
3D apps, rendering frames, tutorials and movies.
Those are mostly big chunk files so they won't benefit from the high rotation that 15K SCSI drives provide which are more suited to database files (small random read/write).
If those SCSI drives aren't too old (less than 3yrs old) you could probably still sell them at good price. People who buy 2nd hand server for small business database loves those.

Partition is useful for separating OS+app from storage data. So nuking the OS to clean install won't affect the other partition(s).
If it's purely a data storage drive then I personally wouldn't bother with partitions.

TRENDING THREADS