More for miracle.

Okay, due to the deafening silence I just went and did some investigating on
my own. Seems the number designation for the Athlon 64 chips is comparing
their speed of processing to previous AMD chips. In other words a 64 3500
at 2.2 GHz runs as fast as a non-64 Athlon would at 3.5 GHz. That is the
explanation I have found. Anyway going by benchmarks the 3500 runs up there
with the Extreme Edition Pentiums, and way beyond the Prescott 3.8 GHz chip.
Here is a review with a lot of chips to compare:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half_life_2_cpu_shootout/page6.asp

So you could go down a few steps (and a few dollars) in the 64 line and
still be far above what you were shooting for.

Also you could save a few dollars in the motherboard and not notice a
difference, as in going to the AN8 or AN8-V (non-ultras).

And the crucial memory is officially supported on the ABit web site.

Quixote

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
> Okay, due to the deafening silence I just went and did some investigating
> on my own. Seems the number designation for the Athlon 64 chips is
> comparing their speed of processing to previous AMD chips. In other words
> a 64 3500 at 2.2 GHz runs as fast as a non-64 Athlon would at 3.5 GHz.
> That is the explanation I have found. Anyway going by benchmarks the 3500
> runs up there with the Extreme Edition Pentiums, and way beyond the
> Prescott 3.8 GHz chip. Here is a review with a lot of chips to compare:
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half_life_2_cpu_shootout/page6.asp
>
> So you could go down a few steps (and a few dollars) in the 64 line and
> still be far above what you were shooting for.
>
> Also you could save a few dollars in the motherboard and not notice a
> difference, as in going to the AN8 or AN8-V (non-ultras).
>
> And the crucial memory is officially supported on the ABit web site.
>
> Quixote

And darn if I am not giving myself the upgrade bug.... :^(

Quixote

Quixote wrote:
> Probably a good idea, especially as far as the motherboard goes. The
> ultra that I picked has the newest nForce chipset and has features
> which make it a more stable board.

Q, I thought of something else I want in it tonight- a wireless g
card in it so that I can connect to our wireless rrouter/modem thingie
Allen put in.
Neither of the 2 desktops has wireless capability, but I'd want
it in a new unit. It would be wasted on Ross, bless his heart. He's
rarely online for fun anymore.

That would be cheaper to buy online, too, wouldn't it?

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42e4b8eb_3
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Neither of the 2 desktops has wireless capability, but I'd want
> it in a new unit. It would be wasted on Ross, bless his heart. He's
> rarely online for fun anymore.

I haven't seen mobos with wireless, and it's still a moving target
technology, so I wouldn't lock it into a mobo anyway. "G" is probably good
for another year, and then will change again. The cards are cheap enough,
about $30 I think. Double if you want the double speed feature that uses
two channels. (That's what I use at the office.) The latest thing is the
"N" cards which aren't yet a standard and don't really boost speed, just
distance. They use "smart" antennas to direct the signal in the right
direction. And they're quite expensive.

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Quixote wrote:
>> Probably a good idea, especially as far as the motherboard goes. The
>> ultra that I picked has the newest nForce chipset and has features
>> which make it a more stable board.
>

> Q, I thought of something else I want in it tonight- a wireless g
> card in it so that I can connect to our wireless rrouter/modem thingie
> Allen put in.
> Neither of the 2 desktops has wireless capability, but I'd want
> it in a new unit. It would be wasted on Ross, bless his heart. He's
> rarely online for fun anymore.
>
> That would be cheaper to buy online, too, wouldn't it?

They probably are. I would get one that matches the brand of the router or
access point sending the signal for best compatibility. This will also lock
you into putting the desktop unit in a good hotspot to avoid signal loss.

Quixote

Miracle Smith wrote:
> Okay, am I ready to order? Did Q forget anything?
> Did *I* forget anything? Cables? Gizmos? Whatzzits?
>
> <http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y1515247B>

Quixote, Can we go back to the other CPU?
(And video card if you changed it.) I think all we'd
need is a cooler for the CPU. (Heatsink & fan.)

I said to self, "Self, don't skimp! You'll regret it later!"

And self listened..............

> Miracle Smith wrote:
>> Okay, am I ready to order? Did Q forget anything?
>> Did *I* forget anything? Cables? Gizmos? Whatzzits?
>>
>> <http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y1515247B>
>

> Quixote, Can we go back to the other CPU?
> (And video card if you changed it.) I think all we'd
> need is a cooler for the CPU. (Heatsink & fan.)
>
> I said to self, "Self, don't skimp! You'll regret it later!"
>
> And self listened..............

I did not change a thing, just talked about it. That processor is a retail
boxed version and does include a heat sink and fan.

Quixote

Quixote wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> Miracle Smith wrote:
>>> Okay, am I ready to order? Did Q forget anything?
>>> Did *I* forget anything? Cables? Gizmos? Whatzzits?
>>>
>>> <http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y1515247B>
>>

>> Quixote, Can we go back to the other CPU?
>> (And video card if you changed it.) I think all we'd
>> need is a cooler for the CPU. (Heatsink & fan.)
>>
>> I said to self, "Self, don't skimp! You'll regret it later!"
>>
>> And self listened..............
>
> I did not change a thing, just talked about it. That processor is a
> retail boxed version and does include a heat sink and fan.
>
> Quixote

OH! I'm sorry- I thought you changed it to save me a few dollars,
and didn't see the post where I changed my mind. :eek:}

I remember the other fellows mentioning the retail version now.

Dude, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time and trouble
you've gone through to help me order these parts. My life is as spinny
as a top right now, what with all I try to accomplish during a day, and
having a baby ferret, but one day soon some neat gizmo will arrive in
your mail box.
It won't be enough, in my eyes, to adequately thank you, but know
that I mean it when I shout "THANK YOU!" :)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

> Quixote wrote:
>> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message

>>> Quixote, Can we go back to the other CPU?
>>> (And video card if you changed it.) I think all we'd
>>> need is a cooler for the CPU. (Heatsink & fan.)
>>>
>>> I said to self, "Self, don't skimp! You'll regret it later!"
>>>
>>> And self listened..............
>>
>> I did not change a thing, just talked about it. That processor is a
>> retail boxed version and does include a heat sink and fan.
>>
>> Quixote
>

> OH! I'm sorry- I thought you changed it to save me a few dollars,
> and didn't see the post where I changed my mind. :eek:}
>
> I remember the other fellows mentioning the retail version now.
>
> Dude, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time and trouble
> you've gone through to help me order these parts. My life is as spinny
> as a top right now, what with all I try to accomplish during a day, and
> having a baby ferret, but one day soon some neat gizmo will arrive in
> your mail box.
> It won't be enough, in my eyes, to adequately thank you, but know
> that I mean it when I shout "THANK YOU!" :)

I did just realize something. I did not think about it before because I
have been non-legacy for some time, but this motherboard does not have
serial or parallel ports. It does have PS2 mouse and keyboard ports, but
any printer or other peripheral would need to be USB.

Quixote

> I did just realize something. I did not think about it before
> because I have been non-legacy for some time, but this motherboard
> does not have serial or parallel ports. It does have PS2 mouse and
> keyboard ports, but any printer or other peripheral would need to be
> USB.
> Quixote

No problem-all the printers and my newest scanner are all USB.
Ditto my Mavica, the diskette drive for this laptop, my pen drive.......

Smeghead wrote:
> Yes, you forgot to double the order and send the duplicate of each
> component to me!

LOL!