Ceuper

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
No, this is not a "the box said 750GB but I only got 698!!" thread. I just built a new computer with a 750GB Western Digital HD, but after only a week noticed that I've apparently used 200GB of space. I've installed a number of programs but not that much. I checked, and when I select everything in the C drive and use 'properties' to read the size (with 'show hidden files' turned on), it appears to take up 105GB. Yet my C drive displays 201GB as in use. Granted I still have quite a bit of head room, but it bothers me that all that space is mysteriously taken up.

There's probably a stupidly simple answer to this question, but I can't figure it out. Apologies in advance. ;)

Core i7 920
Asus P6T SE
Vista x64 Ultimate

Ceuper

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

Photoshop as well as a few (6 or so) games, so far, among a bunch of miscellaneous programs. It may be worth it to note that there are a few modifications on some of the games which read as the size of the game file in the Programs and Features menu, causing them to be calculated multiple times when in reality they are only small. As far as I know this is because the Programs menu calculates the program size based on the directory, so if a small program is installed within a larger ones folder, it will be calculated twice. This causes the Programs menu to display the total size as 140GB, even though I know that's not correct.

Could this be the issue? A misreading of disc space?

Ceuper

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks so much! That did the trick. I disabled it because I've never once used system restore; I'm always very careful with keeping my computer clean. Thanks again.