Beginners question

inertiat

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Hi,

I'm going to be doing my first build in a couple of weeks, and have a good idea about most of things I need to know, except for power. The PSU I'm going to use is a CoolerMaster M700. I'm going to ask some really basic questions just so I know I'm getting this right, so be kind!

First of all, what kind of power connectors will I generally need? It looks like the PSU has ports for 4-pin molex connectors, but will they need to be male or female to plug into the PSU?
Secondly, I'm using OEM Drives. Can someone show me what power connectors I'll need to connect to a SATA Hard Drive, a SATA DVD Drive, and an IDE floppy drive? I'm guessing I'll need a spliter or converter or something for my HDD and Floppy Drive
Also, I'll be using 5 case fans. I'm guessing they'll all use Molex connectors (male or female?). Would it be wise to chain them all together and plug them into one of the ports on the PSU, or use 2-way splitters so I can save some ports on my PSU?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

mrplow99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Ok im not all that pro at these things but, OEM means it comes in a tray or something not a retail box, so that wont make any difference, as for the sata drives (HDD and DVD) i believe it will just be a sata connector which the psu i would assume should have. And case fans are normally, male atleast i think its male, but im not 100% on that.

Im sure someone can help you more than me and will post shortly xD

Plow

inertiat

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Thanks MrPlow (awesome episode XD ). Yep so I'm guessing the Drives won't come with any power connectors. I'm not sure if the PSU will have the cables (it doesn't say it includes any cables except for the motherboard power cables), so I want to know which ones I'll need anyway so I can buy some spares just incase. Any pics or links to the cables I'll need would be a great help too :)

Here is a link to the modular cables you will get:
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=2574
They are pretty standard and sufficient. Cables are keyed so that you can't go wrong plugging them in. They will only fit one way.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. It means that just the device comes in the package; no instructions, cables, software. You won't need them.

Case fans take very little power. There is no problem putting several on the same psu line. Do whatever keeps the case wiring neatest. Most case fans will have a dual plug that lets you connect several together.

On a separate note, the coolermaster is considered to be a lower quality unit on this list:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088
There are better quality units for the price.