External Monitor - Color then Green then Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadcham

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I hope there is someone that has some idea what might be causing this problem: My HP DV2000 series laptop has recently been showing a green tint on my external LCD display almost all of the time. There will be times were it jumps back to full color, but most of the time it has a green tint. The actual LCD on the laptop still looks just fine, even in dual monitor mode and I have connected more that one LCD externally to make sure the LCD wasn't going bad, and all get a green tint. I also changed out the VGA cable with no change. I normally use the XB3000 docking stating with the laptop, and I even took that out of the picture and connected directly to the VGA out on the laptop, and that also didn't help.

Any ideas? I wanted to say my video card was bad, but the actual laptop LCD has worked perfectly with no change in color, etc. The video card in my laptop is a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Chad

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Sounds to me like your cable is not properly inserted. It may have bent pins. The problem could be on the vga port on your monitor, too.

chadcham

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I had already switched the VGA cable out for a new one and I have tried 3 different monitors with the same result each time which takes the LCD and the VGA cables out of the equation. :(

joreed1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Chadcham. I have the EXACT same problem. I have the dv6000 connect to an external monitor and the tint flickers and stays out most of the time. I've tried 3 different external monitors and 4 different cables and same problem. It's fine on the laptop screen itself. I called HP support and they want me to do a system restore (which I won't because that won't fix it) or to send it in to them for 10-days which is a problem for me.

Have you found a solution yet?

chadcham

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
joreed -

No, unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. I've found several other people with HP laptops which have the same exact problem, but no resolution. I can't spare my laptop for that long either. I was hoping someone would have a fix (either hardware or software), but no luck.

I'm thinking about just getting another laptop and then sending this one in to HP to fix and then selling it. That way I'm not without a laptop and I won't have to worry about this in the future (hopefully anyway).

Let me know if you found anything out! Thanks,
Chad

tobny

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I've the same problem.
And the same computer
--HP DV2000 series laptop
--NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
--OS Vista

I think the problem came with SP1.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Regards
Tobias

G

Hi folks.

I just got off an extended 3 session chat with HP and they gave me the following link to a new driver for my Nvidia graphics card. This may or may not work for you, but the link is:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33537.exe

Note: this is probably going to be an older driver than what you have, but they told me to install it anyway. It took 2 reboots to complete the process, but everything worked well (remote monitor and S-video were both in color again) once the system came up. Of course the problem was intermittent, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck.

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
If that doesn't solve the problem (I'm doubtful) then you should consider looking into the cable. Somewhere there is a cable that connects your external vga port, where you plug your external monitor in, to your motherboard. I would bet that the problem has to do with one of the two ends of that connection, and the motherboard is the most likely (if only because there is more hot-cold cycling going on there. For VGA monitors, this sort of color distortion is very common and is a symptom of a plug not being fully inserted (or some similar problem).

G

Any luck getting this fixed? I've sent my damn laptop off twice to get fixed (Best Buy) and after sitting on it for a month each time they send it back saying the problem isn't there when they looked.

Hmm, maybe "intermittent" is too big of a word for them...

brkelner

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hi folks.

I just got off an extended 3 session chat with HP and they gave me the following link to a new driver for my Nvidia graphics card. This may or may not work for you, but the link is:

Note: this is probably going to be an older driver than what you have, but they told me to install it anyway. It took 2 reboots to complete the process, but everything worked well (remote monitor and S-video were both in color again) once the system came up. Of course the problem was intermittent, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck.

Did this work ?

G

did anyone find a solution? i have a HP dv6000 (nvidea geforce GO 6150 video card) and im about done with it. first the battery completely died within the first year, then days after my warranty expired, the wireless card disappeared... now this.

the external monitor is green most of the time, though sometimes it magically comes alive and then i am squinting for a second. sometimes it flickers back and forth quickly, some times it stays bright for a few minutes.

its a brand new monitor and the last one i had was doing the same thing - which is the reason i replaced it. so it's not the cable. its the card. i've tried installing older and new drivers, but have run into many errors throughout the process.

if anyone can help that would be AMAZING. i cant go with out a computer for really even a day and i cant afford to just buy a new one. i need to try and fix it myself.

thanks!

wantedryan

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
:bounce:
Install the latest driver from:

laptopvideo2go.com

I fix my display by that way.

note: uninstall nvidia driver before installing the new driver

:bounce:

dnelson1969

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Has anyone come up with a solution for this yet? I have had a very similar problem. My external monitor suddently became very bright but I was able to use the NVIDIA control panel to make it usable. And then today, about a month after the initial problem, my display is green and can't be corrected enough to be viewable at all.

HP Pavilion tx1000 tablet
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
Vista Ultimate

jaredg21

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I am having the same problem as the original post except my monitor is ALWAYS too bright with a green tint. It started out of no where last week after using this setup for 2 years. I dont get it?!?!! Can a Nvidia GeForce Go 6150 even be replaced??

G

I was having the same problem with my DV6000 with NVidia GeForce Go 6150; appeared out of nowhere; my first problem was intermittent color going green and image fuzzy on my external. I deduced that the monitor was bad (ancient anyway) and got a nice new 23 incher. That worked OK but then the green fuzzies returned. Grrr. Turned out that within the "NVidia control panel" (available by right-clicking the desktop) there were some color sliders that seemed to default to the internal LCD's values (+50 for brightness and saturation, I think), but they should have just stayed at 0 values for the external LCD. This version of their software behaved erratically, and a subsequent upgrade has eliminated that option.
New problems have replaced it, though: the external monitor would go super-green, bizarre aspect ratio, and would actually completely blank out if the mouse went onto that part of the desktop; that is, anything on regular laptop's screen would work, but dragging any data into the external monitor area would blank out that monitor completely.
This had me thinking it's a computer, rather than a monitor or cable issue.
I have upgraded to the latest video drivers, BIOS, etc.
I tried doubling my laptop's RAM (to 2 GB) as i understood that the vid card shared system ram, but that had no effect (although the still-working part of my computer runs much faster now...).
I also went into the BIOS and changed the amount of RAM the system could use for video processing (from 64 MB to it's maximum of 128 MB), but that too had no effect.
Now the monitor will run fine for a few minutes, and then mysteriously blank out and stay blank.
Long story short: the number of cycles I am spending on this issue is becoming absurd. I will likely need to switch laptops because of this issue alone.
Does anyone have a suggestion before my DV6000 becomes another techno-paperweight?

kittykitty2802

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
i'm running a brand new gateway laptop on a brand new vizio hd flat with a brand new vga cable. worked fine for about a week then i too got the green tint to it. but only when in RGA mode... i know everything is fine, its brand new (like within two weeks old!)
im going to try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, but who knows... i hope someone can find the solution for this, its annoying, i can't photoshop anymore with the colors being SO off

alfC

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
same problem with hp tx2000, green tint it was intermitent but now is parmanent. support chat said upgrade bios. of course it didn't solved. one week ago the computer burned the chip. many people have the same problem and hp don't acknowledges it.
hp pavillions and HP itself are a piece of sh*t.

nikkv

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
I have the exact same problem with my hp pavilion dv9000 notebook and my 23inch HANNS G VGA external monitor. I have a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 card. Here's the wierd thing I notice: when looking at NVIDIA properties it says 256 MB video memory, but according to specs on the sticker of my laptop, it's supposed to be 128MB?

But that aside, I find uninstalling nvidia drivers and then re-installing fixes the monitor problem temporarily:

(I have winxp media center edition (service pack 3) operating system by the way)

system >> device manager >> display adapters >> GeForce Go 6150

Click uninstall, this will delete the "nVidia profiles" that it creates for your monitor and I believe that the problem lies in the profiles.

I've done the cable/monitor changing to another computer. It's not a pin problem, it's not a hardware problem, it's a problem with nVidia and how it calculates/stores profile/aspect ratio information for external monitors.

The crappy thing is that un-installing then re-installing the drivers only fixes the problem temporarily, and it always comes back. Sometimes after 1 day.

Edit: I used this driver for re-install:

You can update it through driver properties (update driver button) after you install it.

alfC

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I am not sure if we all have the same problem (probably yes) but comments that say that reinstalling the driver solves problem are wrong and it happens just by chance while the problem is still intermitent. It is easy to see if it is a hardware problem when you setup the bios with an external monitor connected you would see it still green.

nikkv

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Here is another thing that I did, which helped.

Go into Device Manager (from hardware profiles in System or whatever)

Under Monitors, there will probably be a couple different Plug and Play Monitor(s).

Disconnect your external (turn it off first), then uninstall all monitors except Default Monitor, if you have more than one default, I would remove them as well, until just the Default Monitor profile is left.

Next, uninstall the driver. Don't just install the new one over the old one, I mean remove it. Completely, so that after restart your resolution and colors are all messed up.

When that happens, install the new driver. Restart... twice or however many times required. Then reconnect the monitor, turn it on and set it up.

Should fix your problem.

Another thing that might be useful...

laptopvideo2go.com has a modified inf file with a driver, now honestly, I tried their driver and it did not make a difference. But here's the thing, you can use that inf to install any other, newer driver, such as the one on the nVidia site.

Try to use laptopvideo2go.com's inf with latest driver from nVidia. You need the inf because... well, read laptopvideo2go.com's site faq, it will tell you.

G

Hello. Same problem here. Tech support guy at Compaq told me buy another laptop this is the video display in the 2000, it will cost you more than a new laptop...this appears to be an ongoing QC problem they do not publicly admit. Renders the laptop useless to me in the office....I bought an EEE PC netbook from ASUS and I love it!!!
Glenn

calebjill

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
So I read entire thread and like everyone else I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 which would not work with an external display. (Green Tinting) I bought a VGA to USB adapter on sale at best buy for 39.99 and after hook up it is working fine. Issue has to be with the VGA port/card on these HP Pavilion models. Thought about the new laptop route, but this was definitely cheaper and quicker.

Thanks for all the responses.

Buy the way I did try the Nvidia driver things first and they did not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.