Need advice on "low-profile" video cards + CPU

xshingox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Hi all,

I am new to this forum.
I have been pretty outdated on desktop hardware and stuff since I have been using only laptops for the past 3 years. Therefore, you can call me a computer noob as I'm back to the beginning.

I am considering getting a desktop with a slim case. The Dell Inspiron 530s (not the 530) should be the one that I'm getting.
Since the case is a slim type and I have no idea what so ever on "low-profile" video cards, can someone recommend me a good low-profile video card? Or which one is the best out there?

I do mostly net surfing and gaming. I play a lot of games (COD4, Half-Life 2, Crysis but it does not run as Frame Rate is too crappy) but I don't mind running them on lower resolution to play.

My CPU choices are the following Core 2 Duos:
E4600, 2MB L2, 2.40GHz, 800MHz FSB
E8300, 6MB L2, 2.83GHz, 1333MHz FSB
E8400, 6MB L2, 3.00GHz, 1333MHz FSB
E8500, 6MB L2, 3.16GHz, 1333MHz FSB

I don't want my CPU to be overkill for my video card so can you please tell me which CPU would be good for the recommended video card?

Also, how many GB of memory should I have?

Last edited:

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Why do you want to get a slim pc? Do you have major space concerns?

You could probably build a pretty good micro ATX if you are looking for a smaller pc

AMD has a good integrated video chipset; 3300 series on the 780G chipset, i'm not certain if its micro atx or not though.

I don't know.. I just think you might regret getting a slim pc

edit: 780G is offered in micro atx by a number of mainstream manufacturers like ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock all good companies.

Sadly, the only available low profile video cards are a generation old (or more) video card that are basically in the value segment in terms of both price and performance.

They're great for games that are not graphically demanding (like Galactic Civilization 2 which is an awesome strategy game), but using one of those low profile cards will make me wince when I through on X3: Reunion, or Oblivion.

If you like playing FPS games, then you will regret buying a slim PC.

xshingox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Ok, maybe buying a slim PC will be a bad idea and I might regret it in the future.
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciated it.

Last edited: