My rant on Dell lower XPS model desktops and the BTX case

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I got a XPS410

Its BS that dell locks OC on the lower end XPS but the XPS 700+ are fully unlocked for OC.

I should of waited till I had the money for a build instead of being lazy with payments through dell plus I did not know the lower XPS models where OC locked. I know for a fact I can get the this CPU to 3.0GHZ easy if I wasn't on a dell! (or on a XPS700+ stupid dell!!)

Anther rant of dell I hate the BTX case F*** you. If I want to upgrade to SLI which I was planing to do, not would I need a new mobo, I would need a new case,new PSU and a new HSF because all thous items I just listed where designed just for the BTX case. So instead of just having to buy new mobo from newegg which I used on my last builds. Instead I would have to rebuild the whole f***ing system! The cost is not worth it. I learned my lesson I will NEVER buy a manufactured desktop ever again! (I want a refund:/ ) I know my fault just saying why I'm pissed and why not to buy a dell.

RizzyWho

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
:) i learnt that lesson when i got my first computer, it was a:

Celeron skt478 2.8GHz
256MB PC 333
onboard intelly gfx card
and sum other parts

It was made by HP...

When it came to the upgrading.... i was in the same boat as you!!

From then on, i always buidl my own.. its saves the pounds and hassle.

Cant you say it has a problem? (fiddles with pc) and complain? Then ask for a refund?

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dude, you got a Dell. Nuff said. If you searched the forums, or heaven forbid, used Google, you will learn ALL OEM's lock their BIOS on their proprietary mobos on all consumer PC's. Consumer PC's are made for Grandma Pearl to check her email with, not ubergeeky Joe who wants to OC his new e8400. In other words, learn from this mistake and quit whining because you couldn't take a few minutes to search for critical information. If anything, sell the Dell, and build one!

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

Dell XPS700+ models have OC unlocked on there mobo. Just pissed wasted $2,000 (bought the system a year ago). The XPS was spose to be so called high-end dell model, my ass.

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
lol a s***load of disappointment with extra BS on the side and I got a whole truck load of it from dell lol :p

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Dell are actually a brilliant company if you hvae little tech knowledge and want a decent PC at a reasonable price.

However for tech-geeks (Like everyone here) they're really not great.

RizzyWho

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
^^ agreed there... just adding above to my last post... i didnt spend $2000, i spent $300 lol so myn wasnt a massive loss :p hahaha

kkthanksbye

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Learned that the hard way :/

G

couldn't you take everything out of the dell case... get a new mobo and a new case... then reinstall everything into that new case... do windows repair...

and WALAH you have a brand new OCable system

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
couldn't you take everything out of the dell case... get a new mobo and a new case... then reinstall everything into that new case... do windows repair...

and WALAH you have a brand new OCable system
The cost is not worth it.[/quotemsg]

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

yea unless I rebuilt the system im screwed.

Actually, the 410's PSU is surprisingly decent - it won't do multi GPU or anything like that, but it will run a Q6600 and HD3870 all day long quite happily.

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I was thinking that would be my only alt is to get 1 really nice video card and a 500W PSU+ and a quad core (waiting for more games to support it before upgrading to quad) but still wont be able to OC :/.

Old Tech

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
I know you made this post about four years ago, but I would just like to let you know that if you ever need another computer call on me. I can make sure it is done write, has everything you want in hardware and software. I am very sure I can do it for a whole lot than Del did. ttap1950