Western Digital External drive

deanpavil

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I would like some help in recovery of data from my 300G External drive. If I recall correctly it was called My Book from Western Digital, I've had it less than a year. I was using this drive as supplimental storage for my laptop. When I would shut down the laptop to leave I had noticed that the LED was still on in the front so I unplugged the power. This occured on a few occasions. The last time I was connected my computer saw the drive okay and all the directories and folders but the text for everything was all strange graphic symbols and characters. I shutdown and restarted everything but then half of the directories on the drive became files showing 32Kbytes in size and not windows recognizable. The remainder of the folders/directories are readable and when viewing properties on the drive it shows about the original amount of space that was used. The drive was formated as FAT32 and I am using Windows XP. Thank you.

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
It sounds very much like your file allocation table may be somewhat corrupt (32KB is your cluster size). You should run chkdsk on the drive, as I think it can recover the FAT.

Just go start->run and type chkdsk /f C: (replacing C with whatever letter your drive is.

Good chance this could have been caused by yanking power while the drive was working with the FAT.

deanpavil

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I was able to to run chkdsk on the drive but it did not change anything. Is there another test or way to pull the data off?