Sign in with
Your question

Weird CPU Temp on Q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2009 4:21:27 AM

Hello everyone, I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.0 Ghz.
I have been monitoring my temperatures when I found out that I have a reading of 109C on my CPU temp.
Both Speed Fan and PC Wizard 08 reflect the same value.

Screen shots below:

While the CPU temp is high, the core temps seem to be normal.
If I am not mistaken if my temperatures are that high, the computer will just restart. I am just puzzled now.

Does anyone know why I have such a reading ?

Many thanks in advance.

More about : weird cpu temp q6600

February 28, 2009 11:24:32 AM

It's a bogus reading.

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

CompuTronix said:
Section 8: Tools

Note 2: SpeedFan - Very flexible and configurable, SpeedFan is the preferred temperature monitoring utility because Tcase and Tjunction can be Calibrated. SpeedFan detects and labels thermal sensors according to various motherboard, chipset and super I/O chip configurations, so the label for Tcase can be CPU, Temp 1, Temp 2, or Temp 3. Even if Tcase is labeled as CPU, it is still necessary to confirm the identity of Tcase prior to performing Calibrations.

• Repeatedly start and stop Prime95 Small FFT's at 15 second intervals, while observing which SpeedFan temperature scales with an Idle to Load Delta similar to the Cores. This will identify the label corresponding to Tcase. Labels can later be renamed using the Configure button. See Section 11.

If a temperature shows a flame icon, this indicates alarm limits which require adjustment. Use the Configure button to set CPU and Core temp alarms to Warm Scale. If a temperature shows Aux 127, this is simply an unassigned input which can be disabled using the Configure button. See Section 11.

February 28, 2009 11:43:39 AM

it looks like you have a stuck sensor. your core temps are supposed to be higher than the cpu temps. i once had my cpu temp stuck at 112C, but it went away when i restarted the computer. does it do this at stock speeds too?
    Related resources
    February 28, 2009 3:07:49 PM

cheepstuff said:
    it looks like you have a stuck sensor. your core temps are supposed to be higher than the cpu temps. i once had my cpu temp stuck at 112C, but it went away when i restarted the computer. does it do this at stock speeds too?

+1.. Happened to me twice stucked at 109c
    February 28, 2009 3:40:58 PM

Hi again,

Thanks for all the replies. Glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.

When I restart I get back to normal about 25C - 30C for the CPU temp, this only happens after using the computer for 2 hours.

Am I right to say that this is a software problem instead of a hardware problem?
    February 28, 2009 7:39:08 PM

unless your cpu defies the laws of physics on many levels, it is safe to say that IT IS a hardware/software problem. weather it be from fanspeed or the sensor itself, we can say your prossesor is in no danger.
    March 1, 2009 5:11:02 AM

Ok ... Thanks
    !