Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MultiWriter tray won't always open

Last response: in Storage
August 17, 2009 9:05:24 PM

I have an HP Desktop with a LightScribe DVD/CD combo and the tray gets stuck and won't always open. If I push the button on the DVD to eject it struggles and most often won't open. If I use the software method of ejecting it has a better chance of opening up but still not very often. It's getting stuck somewhere.

If I push a paperclip in the unit when it's turned off it won't open but if I push a paperclip in while using software to eject then it opens everytime.

Something is preventing it from opening. I'm sure it's just some simple thing that gets in the way but don't know what.

Any suggestions? You think any kind of lubrication would help?

Of course I could just buy another one but I'm currently just trying to sell the computer as I just built a much nicer gaming system.

Thanks for all the help.

More about : multiwriter tray open

a b G Storage
August 19, 2009 8:00:43 AM

Is there any weird clicking sound that occurs when you eject the drive? It's probably something wrong with the drive mechanism, or a jamming of some sort. Unless you're willing to open up the drive to fix the inside, you're better off buying a new drive.

Best solution

August 19, 2009 4:19:52 PM

gravitar said:
I have an HP Desktop with a LightScribe DVD/CD combo and the tray gets stuck and won't always open. If I push the button on the DVD to eject it struggles and most often won't open. If I use the software method of ejecting it has a better chance of opening up but still not very often. It's getting stuck somewhere.

If I push a paperclip in the unit when it's turned off it won't open but if I push a paperclip in while using software to eject then it opens everytime.

Something is preventing it from opening. I'm sure it's just some simple thing that gets in the way but don't know what.

Any suggestions? You think any kind of lubrication would help?

Of course I could just buy another one but I'm currently just trying to sell the computer as I just built a much nicer gaming system.

Thanks for all the help.

I would check to see if the cover on the tray is binding. There usually is a little play around the screws that attach the drive. I would look at the vover to see if there are wear marks on the cover.
!