To all Ati9800 pro owners or ex-owners that still have it somewhere

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Could anyone be kind enough to tell me the values of these two missing resistors?

damagedati9800proig3.jpg

A closeup shot of the damage :\

damagedati9800procloseurt2.jpg

Im guessing these were smd resistors and so they had values written on the top on each one of them.

Thanks for the help o/

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Three Zeros? 000 ?
Im unsure if this is the true value of the resitor Resistence :|
Do you or anyone knows this? Because 000 makes no sense lol

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Hm, i guess that means the same for both cards. Im just wondering what do those number mean?
I would guess that it would be their resistence but zero ohms if a blody shortcurcuit..

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
rickzor the 000 means it is a schematic number part for that video part if you have a ohms meter and you check the ohms out of the resistor out of it's circuit it will give you a value.you can't ohm between the two ends while it on the board.hope this help you. 30 years of reading schematics for electronic circuits.doesn't that should like fun,well really it is sometime and it comes in handy.when something goes wrong on a circuit

I take it they just came off and you didn't desolder them that would be a cold solder joint.hehe

on the cylinder type resistors the painted rings around the resistor would tell you what ohms they were.

by the way good pictures,it helps !

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
So if i got you correctly, i did wrong doing what i just did, picking resitors with the same numbering from a defunct ati9500 that i had laying around here?
Even they having the same number on their top, it doesnt mean that they have the same resistence?
Because it would make sense, the card didnt work properly even before i fixed it with those spare parts i mentioned, showed bugs like previously and then it crashed with a bsod :(

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
rickzor sorry the schematic number for one board doesn't mean it will work on another board even if they are 2 models off. the number stamped on the top of the resistor is only a schematic number.

what you said:Even they having the same number on their top, it doesnt mean that they have the same resistence?
Because it would make sense, the card didnt work properly even before i fixed it with those spare parts i mentioned, showed bugs like previously and then it crashed with a bsod

hope this help you out if it was me I would just replace the video card so it doesn't mess any other parts in the pc up. sorry for the bad news if you need more help post back and I will see what I can help you with

all your pc specs help alote mobo,ram cpu etc. lots of luck

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Just for the fun of it, this was the card from which i removed the old resistors.

02062008329ox4.jpg

Dont worry, it was already pretty much dead before it was striked with all this carnificie :D
Anyways, now im afraid i have inflicted a damage on the ati9800pro by soldering the wrong components as you said, they didnt have the same resistence, although no significant change on the cards performance was noticed at all.

That kind of damage happened during mail traveling, and the card presents bugs during post like if it had a memory damage as some of you might already saw in previous ati9xxx cards and geforces too, but while in windows no bugs\artifacts appear, until a crappy and artifacted bsod shows up within 4 minutes. The card was in perfect working order before mail sending.
I inspected the card and i found this damage.
Luckly a friend of mine has a ati9800pro (dead one) which he will give me. Hopefuly his ati9800pro components will revive the card unless, it is already permanently damaged.

I already tested on my actual pc, a athlon 64 3500 with a asrock 939dual vsta but it wont even post making the board beeping like if there was no card on it.
Then i tested on a pentium 2.4 which works showing the symptoms i mentioned above, and at last im testing it on a pentium 450mhz. Anyway, i dont see how my specs will help on this particular subject :D
But thanks a lot for the previous help.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Oh the ati9800XT, that was the ultimate card back then like a geforce 9800gx2 or something.
Notice the 9800 digits in comon lol.