Is the seagate driver faster then the WD Black edition

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i was wondering if anyone can confirm. i was looking at the charts here on toms hardware.

and noticed somethin sucpicious. i noticed Seagate 1tb drives are faster then WD Black edition.

how can this be so and is it for real? reason i ask is because seagate has slightly modified the ST3500320AS and the 1TB
capcity drive of that. from 7200.11 to 7200.12 and did seagate make that much of an improvement?

i figured the 7200.12 was done because of seagates failor with the firmware of all the AS series drives 500mb,1TB, 1.5TB.
also i know the

western digital black edition was on toms charts not to long ago as faster in most areas then the seagate drive. only thing
new is a revision of the seagte drive.

1. did seagates new 7200.12 make much an improvement over there prevuios 500gb and 1TB STxxx-xxxxAS (ST3500320AS) hard drives.

2. is the seagates drive realy faster then the WD black edition?

im looking into buying a new hard drive. primarily for storage as iv almost run out of space. and am wondering what drive to get. i have a core i7 system and love speed

It is not the 2 vs. 3 plates that is important. It is the density of the recording material on the plates. 7200rpm is the same, but if more data passes under the heads per revolution, the transfer rate will be faster. If the same capacity fits on two plates vs. 3, then it should be denser.

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

Thus making the 2 vs. 3 plates the part that is important.