Sign in with
Your question

Low Power 2.5" SATA HDD .Industrial Grade operating temperature range

Last response: in Storage
August 18, 2009 6:31:16 AM

Hi There,

I am looking for a 2.5" SATA HDD which has maximum Power requirement should be less than 1.5W ...Is there any body who has Idea ant this ???

I am also looking for 2.5" HDD which is operating at Industrial Temperature range (-20C to +85C).. I have seen may option but I didn't find any.. Any Idea How I can use HDD at Industtrial grade ??

Best Regards,
RH
a b G Storage
August 18, 2009 11:10:23 AM

Not sure about temperature range. You'll have to check the datasheet of individual drives for their ambient temperature tolerance during operation. Usually 0-55C I think.
Otherwise you'll be looking at SSD which is almost bullet proof and won't consume more than 0.8W. The downside with SSD is limited capacity and highish $/GB. >128GB and the price starts going haywire.

The power consumption of todays 2.5" 500GB HDD is at least 1.8W so that doesn't fit your criteria.
August 18, 2009 11:21:29 AM

wuzy said:
Not sure about temperature range. You'll have to check the datasheet of individual drives for their ambient temperature tolerance during operation. Usually 0-55C I think.
Otherwise you'll be looking at SSD which is almost bullet proof and won't consume more than 0.8W. The downside with SSD is limited capacity and highish $/GB. >128GB and the price starts going haywire.

The power consumption of todays 2.5" 500GB HDD is at least 1.8W so that doesn't fit your criteria.

Thanks Wuzy for the reply..

I am looking for min 250GB HDD and if I can accomodate even in 1.8W it is great for me but I have seen that all HDD power requirement is Quite higher @ Strat Up..??

Any Idea How to tackle with this ??

Can you suggest any part with max power requirement 1.8W ??
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
August 18, 2009 9:47:40 PM

Why do you need such a low power drive?
August 19, 2009 4:59:32 AM

cjl said:
Why do you need such a low power drive?

Hey man..

Thansk for the interest..

But I want my new design to accommodate in 13W.. total Power consumption.. As I want my design to be operated as powered device on Power over Ethernet.. (not in PoE+)

Other part in my design is crucial & I have minimize the power requirement as far as possible..but still struggling with the power.. so need to reduce power requirement in HDD ??

If you have any Idea .. Please suggest.
a b G Storage
August 19, 2009 6:27:57 AM

Ahh. I really don't see any good way to do that other than an SSD then. Almost any HDD will draw enough power in spinup to cause problems with that small of a power envelope.
August 19, 2009 6:43:44 AM

Oopsss..

I already ruled out solid state drive option for main two factors::

1. Limited Size of the memory Max 160 GB (I am looking for the support up to 500 GB min 250 GB)
2. Cost factor..

Is there any way or any HDD Availabel in which I can controll the speed of spin through the software driver or I put large value bulk capacitor at the power in put of HDD.. so that Current requirement of the HDD for the time of spinnig can be fulfilled with bulk capacitor with tolerable voltage dip in the 5V rail..

means ,

i = C * dV/dt ;

So ,

C= i * dt/dV ;

dV = acceptable voltage dip ;

dt = Spinning duration at stratup -- the periode for which the current requirement is 'i' ;

i = Requirement of current.

Do you find any possibility with this type of design ??

RH
a b G Storage
August 19, 2009 7:14:19 AM

You can get SSDs well over 160GB (though they are quite expensive). Here's an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the capacitor design? It has some promise, yes. It appears that the Toshiba drive has a max draw of 2.05W or so during normal operation, so as long as that is in your capability to run, it would probably work with the capacitor to aid spinup.
August 20, 2009 6:20:23 AM

cjl said:
You can get SSDs well over 160GB (though they are quite expensive). Here's an example:

As for the capacitor design? It has some promise, yes. It appears that the Toshiba drive has a max draw of 2.05W or so during normal operation, so as long as that is in your capability to run, it would probably work with the capacitor to aid spinup.

CJL ,

Any Idea what is the typical time of startup spining for the HDD ?? From where i get this data ?? It will be helpful to me in design ??
a b G Storage
August 20, 2009 9:38:24 AM

To be honest, I don't know. I know someone who probably does know though, so I'll ask them and try to get back to you :) 
a c 415 G Storage
August 20, 2009 9:45:02 AM

I think a spinup time of about 5 or 6 seconds is pretty typical.
a b G Storage
August 20, 2009 9:48:36 AM

I think it's a lot less than that for notebook drives, honestly. As I said, I know someone to ask who would actually know.
August 20, 2009 2:36:01 PM

I think your only option is SSD, and its not gonna be cheap. You might need to rethink your plan, or bust out the credit card.
a b G Storage
August 20, 2009 5:16:43 PM

OK, I asked, and it should be around 2 seconds for a 2.5". That temperature range will be an issue though - there aren't any drives on the market other than SSDs that are rated for -20C to 80C+ operation.
!