Sign in with
Your question

Recovery disc issues

Last response: in Windows XP
September 15, 2010 11:37:13 PM

Hi I have had to buy a recovery disc for my computer and acer vertion m460. I installed the cd by inserting the first disc and booting from the base menu. followed the prompts and everything reinstalled. after looking at the computer the sound was not working and i was missing all my drivers. so i downloaded all my drivers from the website on another comuter and saved them to a disc. and reinstalled the drivers. but still there is no sound on the computer. So i thought maybe i installed something wrong so i reinstalled the recovery disc. and got a screen asking for my details about xp. I fooled the prompts and it brought me to another main screen menu for xp. with different icons with my name. when i clicked the name nothing happened it just sat dormant. so i restarted the computer and the old menu from the other version of xp came up but still no sound. I am not sure what to do from here any body have any advice

More about : recovery disc issues

a b \ Driver
September 16, 2010 6:14:56 AM

packrat2010 said:
Hi I have had to buy a recovery disc for my computer and acer vertion m460.

For your computer and the acer vertion? That's two Cd's, what a guy.

I installed the cd by inserting the first disc and booting from the base menu. followed the prompts and everything reinstalled. after looking at the computer the sound was not working and i was missing all my drivers.

So, everything didn't get installed.

so i downloaded all my drivers from the website on another comuter and saved them to a disc. and reinstalled the drivers. but still there is no sound on the computer. So i thought maybe i installed something wrong so i reinstalled the recovery disc. and got a screen asking for my details about xp.

Sounds like trouble already.

I fooled the prompts

No, you didn't. They are put there for a good reason. If you have to fool them, you're already making a mess of things.

and it brought me to another main screen menu for xp. with different icons with my name.

See, a mess. I told you so.

when i clicked the name nothing happened it just sat dormant. so i restarted the computer and the old menu from the other version of xp came up but still no sound.

And you thought you had them stupid old prompts fooled eh?

I am not sure what to do from here any body have any advice

Boot from the install CD and when Setup offers to format the drive, accept, and choose the Quick Format.

After Windows is installed, install your drivers, starting with the chipset drivers. Load all drivers one time only.

Go to Control Panel, device manager, and look for hardware trouble as indicated by a yellow exclamation mark in front of devices that have problems.

m
l
September 16, 2010 1:22:42 PM

Sorry I miss type my word i did not fool the prompts i followed the prompts
m
l
September 16, 2010 1:57:26 PM

yes there is two cds. i inseted the one and then it prompts for the second cd and it goes through a series of installs. I pressed ok and then. after the second disc is inserted it says it will over write all exsisting data i agreed and then the install statrted. as it finishes over writing it asks for disc one again and copies files. It asks for reboot so i did and and came to the same result. I am not sure where i am going wrong
m
l
!