kerr717

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Ok so I bought a new processor, a E7200, so it didn't work. Everything worked except the fact that nothing showed on the monitor. The mobo is supposed to support the cpu. The processor still got hot, trust me, I know :), but nothing showed on the monitor. So thats my first problem on why it didn't work.

My second problem is that my old Pentium D 805 processor, that was working fine before, does not work anymore.

1: I took out 805, replaced with 7200, didn't work.
2: Took out 7200 replaced with 805, 805 worked.
3: Replaced blah blah blah didn't work.
4: Replaced the 7200 back with the 805, which worked before, but now does not. So I'm on my friends computer because my new and my old processor don't work. If someone could help me out that would be great seeing that I already missed my match tonight and I don't wish to miss anything else. Thank you.

-Kerr

randomizer

Champion

Problem ;)

I'm not sure where you read that this board supports the E7200, but it almost certainly doesn't. Yes it says it supports Core 2 Duos, but I'm guessing that is the old 65nm ones like the E6xx0, E4xx0 and E2xx0 CPUs. You'll need a new motherboard to run that thing. Look at the Gigabyte (E)P35-DS3L for a "cheap" replacement.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What PSU, make/model? Put original CPU in with correctly installed HS & fan. Remove all cards and data cables & memory. Should give continuous series of beeps (memory error). If not. is one of those 3 components.

Mike.

kerr717

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Randomizer, I thought of that but I read that my Pentium D 805 is 90nm so if my mobo supports the Core 2 Duo's 65nm then I thought maybe it would also support the 45nm. Their website said it supports Core 2 Duos up to 3.8 ghz. So I did think of that happening, Randomizer, but I guess I should of done more research before I went through with everything.

Ok thanks guys for clearing up one of my problems. The other one is that I somehow screwed up my hardrive. I replaced that hardrive with an older one and everything works and thats how I'm typing this up right now. I also tried the "dead" hardrive with another computer but same problem. Everything works fine up until it starts to load Windows where I see the blue screen flash where I remember seeing the word hardrive. So I guess I'll have to buy a new motherboard AND a new hardrive. Great... I don't know how I messed it up, I was wearing a grounding strap pretty much the entire time but according to Murphy's Law, the time I spent without my strap, I touched the hardrive which caused it to semi-crash. I don't understand why it would almost work untill it starts to boot up Windows. So I guess I'll try to use that hardrive as a secondary drive and just not boot from it and see if I can access it or not.

Thanks guys,
Kerr

randomizer

Champion
Unless you caused an electrostatic discharge on the underside of the hard drive (with the PCB) I don't see how you could have fried it like that. I don't know what all the fuss about ESD is for, I've never worn a grounding strap, I often wear socks while working on my PC and I do it on nylon carpet which charges you up like a battery. Never fried anything.