firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Coming from a AMD 3200+ XP, 1G DDR400, Sapphire 9800Pro. Built an Intel Quad 6600, 2G DDR2 1066, 8800GT and 10k Raptor HDD. No issues under normal browsing/surfing, but throw in a game and it struggles to even keep up with my old rig. Installed the classic Unreal 2004, and with all settings ON LOW, some levels studder so much they're un-enjoyable. That game isn't even THAT demanding! WTF!

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yep, drivers are the key. Assuming everything was installed properly (you were grounded, right???) and the HS isseated properly. Should definitely be doing better than that...

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
rantarave - What the heck is a VGA chord? It's not connected by a "chord" - nothing on the computer is connected by a "chord." You mean a cord? The power cable? If that wasn't connected properly, you wouldn't even be able to see the screen. Drivers aren't installed properly, you should go to Nvidia's site and download the newest drivers.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
If you don't know what a PC chord is, you've obviously never built a computer. It's called google, use it some time...

I agree with the turbo button suggestion as well. You have to check the LCD display and make sure that it shows up as being in turbo. The button sticks sometimes, so try pressing it really fast a few times to see if that helps.

rantarave

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
guys im just trying to say that the VGA cord plays a major part in FPS and if youre using some generic off brand VGA/DVI cord its gonnna really make you lag.

Dalyinx

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

...the vga/dvi cord changes how well your system performs? For some reason, I don't think that's true. If anything, it'd affect image quality and not much else.

modode

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
reinstall your drivers - especially the video driver.

benchmark your system - download Performance Test and Everest, should help narrow the problem down.

video cord??? huh?

dipz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
- ensure that your 8800gt has the extra 6 pin power connector plugged in
- ensure that you have the latest nvidia drivers installed
- try running 3dmark06 at default settings and post the score that you get here so that we can get an idea if you system is performing like it should. With your setup you should be getting anywhere between 10,000 and 12,000 marks. If your score falls in that range, we can at least eliminate some possible problems
- try increasing the resolution of UT and see if that makes a difference

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
@Shadow703793: I want one of those, my friend will be like "I have a GTX 280" and Ill just go, "Oh ya, well does it have Turbo?"

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Yeah... the cord has absolutely, possitively, and indenfinately no effect on GPU or any type of computer performance. The cord only regulates the signal sent to your monitor, as a matter of fact the only near performance problem you could possible find is a possible sluggishness of color response, as in black and white to the basic colors then to compound colors ext. So no it is not the cord, though it made me do a fun filled half-hour of research!

SpudTECH

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
It's Probably the 6-pin power on your card-- I just had this issue Yesterday on a customers computer with suprisingly the same specs as yours....It booted and installed windows just fine and then for some unknown reason the 12 volt dissappered. This system still booted after that and went into windows and surfed the net just fine but when it came to playing halo or running 3d mark FORGET IT!!! :pfff: by the way Sigma shark power supplys SUCK!!!

Check your power with the program Speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php and make sure that all the voltages are in spec for your powersupply. :bounce:

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
UT2004 Might not be the best game to gauge your performance in, I beleive there are still many issues with that game regarding stuttering Etc. Try running another game.

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Ok. I verified that the 6 pin power plug was in place on the video card. I played a little Crysis yesterday. Played ok I guess. I also download and installed the latest drivers from nVidia and I just ran 3DMark06 Advanced Edition.

12115 3DMarks
SM2.0 Score 4942
HDR/SM3.0 Score 5224
CPU Score 3833

Are those scores reasonable for what I have? I don't know what that compares to. The biggest thing that worried me was while the CPU tests were running, average FPS was roughly 1.5fps. I realize it's a CPU test and not a graphics test, but the video was barely even running. Is that normal?

TRENDING THREADS