Questions about Seagate 7200.12

Man...I am running out of space..

Hello everyone.
I am thinking of buying a new HDD since I need more space, and I have read the benchmark results from the new seagate 7200.12 series. After seeing them, I kinda interested to buy one.
I have also searched a little about the problem with the 7200.11 firmware issues (I have 2 of these but I am lucky, none of them are broken yet). I have seen in many articles that 7200.12 doesn't have this problem, but I just wanna make sure before I buy one.

So...has someone/anyone ever experienced any problem with 7200.12 especially concerning the firmware issue like 7200.11?

Wow.....beginning of last year a Seagate 7200.11 500GB and later a Seagate 7200.11 1TB...3 months ago a hitachi 500GB HDP725050GLA360.....now..I am craving for more and more space...

r_manic

Administrator
Well personally I haven't had problems with the 7200.12. Given what people say about Seagate and Western Digital, I'd suggest you pick a drive from the latter brand.

You can also consider archiving older files on DVDs or on an external hard drive.

Thank you everyone.
I think it is good to go...I'll buy it first thing tomorrow morning...as soon as the stores are open of course....:)

@r_manic : I bought all of those hardrives actually to avoid having mountains of cds and dvds at home....those film and tv series collections of mine will take the blame for taking so much place.......and...my external hdd..1 TB from trekstor...hehehehe...it is almost full...I guess I need one of those too... :)

@manotanoobie : yup...I too own 2 of them...still no problem at all...I bought them last year...perhaps I am just lucky... :)

Jensterd

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I've used Seagate drives w/o a problem for years...
until now.

Since October of last year, I've had 5 Barracuda drives fail. Of the replacement drives, 3 of them failed.

I'll admit - I'm hard on my drives - running 24x7 - but I think I'm switching back to Western Digital for now.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
and i've had 9 of the 500gig seagate 7200.12's in operation now for 10 monthes.. none have gone bad.

on another note I have had 2 hitachi's go bad , and 1 wd over last 5 years..
out of about 35 disks.

Hmmm...if you guys put things that way...
It is hard to tell which brand is bad...you can find always defect products/production..only this 7200.11 is worrying me because it is caused not by the defect production process but from the firmware a.k.a mistakes during designing phase...the other issues...they don't have my concern..
What can you say about mass production goods? you will find problems on every brands...
BTW : 7200.12 seems OK until now (although still less than a month)

TRENDING THREADS