Sign in with
Your question

What happens with XP OEM if I replace mobo to solve memory probs?

Last response: in Memory
July 17, 2008 2:41:35 PM

Hello Folks,

I have a Pentium D 3.4 system with Gigabyte GA 8N SLI socket 775 mobo with 2 gigs 667 ram. I'm running Windows XP home OEM as the OS.

I have been getting increasing amounts of BSOD, with various memory related errors, and now I can't even get my system to completely boot. I can no longer get windows to boot into safe mode either.

I have swapped out two other different brands of memory in all four of the mem slots on the mobo to no avail.

Booting to windows memory tester CD-rom gives Stop Exceptions and sometimes just locks up.

Re-setting bios to "fail-safe" defaults does not help, nor does toggling different settings of memory synchrony in BIOS.

Therefore, at this point I'm figuring I have a hardware problem. Does this seem reasonable at this point?

Is there anything else I could try before buying a new mobo that uses the same memory sticks I already have? I can probably score a 775 mobo with 667 bus for $40-50 on Pricewatch.

Could it be the CPU?

Should I just upgrade both the mobo and CPU?

Finally- key question-- If I replace the mobo and/or CPU, re-connect the vid card and HDD and DVD-drives, etc and boot up the system, how will my windows XP OEM operating system react? I understand that OEMs are configured for ONE system? Will it sense a new CPU signature and fuss or lock up? Even if Bill Gates doesn't lock me down over licensing, will the OS throw a fit upon seeing the new architecture, or is it likely to simply detect the new stuff and await drivers?

Please advise.

Jim
July 17, 2008 2:51:00 PM

I've moved OEM xp keys from different systems before, there shouldn't be a problem. Worst case is that you'll have ot call in for activation after reinstall.

I've never had success moving one install to a new system w/o formatting. but if the motherboards use the same chipset then it "should" be fine.
a b } Memory
July 17, 2008 7:23:03 PM

At most, you would have to call Microsoft to get a new licence. Just tell them your old motherboard failed, and you had to replace it. Takes 5 minutes.

And I strongly recommend following Phy's recommendation: Take the opportunity to to do a nice, clean, fresh installation. IF you use the same chipset and components, IN THEORY you may well be OK. Personally, I'd rather not chance it, and would clean that sucker out.
July 17, 2008 7:28:25 PM

Have you run MemTest86+ from a bootable CD? If it says you have memory errors... odds are you have bad RAM modules or at the very least are running them at a higher speed than they support. If your RAM timings in the BIOS are set to auto, consider manually setting them. If they're already set to manually, consider trying the auto setting.
July 17, 2008 7:57:47 PM

Hi saxguy. If you truely have Windows XP home OEM then rebuilding or replacing any or all parts of your system won't be a problem. Sometime after the reinstall you have to activate online and it should go right through. I had this same question awhile back with XP Pro. I called M$ and talked to three different reps and got three different answers some nice some not so nice one guy kind of nasty. That really pissed me off since I was legit and just had a bad hd. I really had a bad hd and asked to deactivate and then reactivate or however they wanted to do so they would know that this was legit. As I said three different answers. The rebuild and reinstall with XP Pro went fine. I was able to rebuild with all NEW stuff since I felt that there might be a chance that I was going to have to buy a new license. Unless you really want to replace some parts or the whole system try Rod's suggestion and the others first to confirm bad parts. Again rebuild or reformat and reinstall with no fear.............providing that is an OEM copy. Repost your success.
July 18, 2008 7:31:34 PM

Same as my old setup...

1: I went through a LOT of RAM when I had my Pentium D. I have memtest86 saved to a floppy as a result (I went though 4 sticks of RAM over 2 years...). Run memtest 86, as you might have multiple sticks of bad RAM.

2: Pentium D's get HOT (i could hit 90 degrees with stock cooling, no problem at all :D ). Its possible you are simply overheating. You should have a temp moniter under the power section of the BIOS, check to see what those are (I think the BIOS screen is 80% of full load, might be wrong though...).
!