Graphical Problems

sojobo

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Ok so I've built a new computer and to some extent it runs, however it seems to be pretty unstable, originally I thought it was a problem with the graphics card so I returned it, but they sent it back saying it passed their tests. So I tried swapping out the new graphics card with my old one, I got the same problems again, so I'm going to say it's safe to say the graphics card is not the problem.
Everything is new in the computer so my next guess is the motherboard is faulty somehow.
Basically what happens is when I boot up I will sometimes make it to windows, however when I get there several things can happen, I could have everything working ok until I try to run a game or something more graphics intensive in which case the screen will flicker and fill up with artifacts until it becomes unusable. Sometimes when I get to windows its as if my drivers weren't installed, Windows Aero doesn't work, little choice in resolutions, etc. Also it seems that my sound drivers don't always load either. When I don't make it to windows my computer sometimes decides for no apparent reason it's going to do a disk check, or it might just restart itself while loading windows.
The problems seem to be alot more apparent when using the 9800GTX as apposed to the x1950 Pro, I'm guessing because the 9800GTX requires more power, resources, I don't know.

Anyways here's the build;

PSU: Tagan BZ Series 800W
CPU: Intel Q9450
RAM: 4x 2GB 6400 800MHz OCZ
Mobo: ASUS P5N-D 750i
GFX: Nvidia 9800GTX
HDD: 3x 500GB (2x SATA II / 1x Ext. USB 2.0)
Display: 37" HANNspree Xv HDTV (connected via HDMI)
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi
Others:
Belkin Wireless network card
CDRW Drive

Note: I haven't overclocked anything as of yet, I was hoping to do so once I had it all set up though.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
If you were just getting problems when gaming with artifacting, I'd say your graphics card is overheating. While that could still be a problem (get EVGA's new Precision tool from their website to manually set the fan speed on your GPU, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it), the fact that you have sound issues, chkdsk, etc..........I'd say you have a corrupt install or something.

Reinstall Windows from scratch and reinstall the newest graphics and sound drivers, see if that helps. Not much lost time since it's a new build, you should be back up in 2 hours. Definitely worth the time before you rip apart the system to see if it's a hardware problem.

And get the EVGA Precision tool to check/control those GPU temps ;)

sojobo

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Nah it's not an overheating problem, the problem starts pretty much as soon as I start the game up, and since is happens with both cards I can't see that being the problem. The case I use has x2 250mm fans, 1x 90mm, The Zalmon flower cooler on the cpu, I think another 90mm fan under the PSU along with the fan on the Graphics card too. Heating is definatly not the problem.
I too thought it was maybe a windows problem but I have tried formatting before, think I might give it another shot though because this has been going on for a while now. I can use the computer to browse the net, watch videos, listen to music when it boots properly but the computer is built for gaming and so I'd like to get it up and running heh.
I'll try formatting when I get home from work tonight, let you know if it solves anything.

sailer

Splendid
There might be a problem with the motherboard. If it isn't working right, nothing connected to it will work right. I'd also double check all the power lines. Not much that makes a person feel silly like finding out that a power line is loose. Last, since you say the problem is less pronounced with an old X1900 Pro than with the 9800 GTX, there's always the possibility of a bad PSU. If the PSU doesn't put out enough power to where its supposed to go, nothing will work correctly.