jonbull

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Ok guys basically i need to write a hell of a lot about a subject i know near to nothing about. It needs to be factual formal and non biased (to an extent). Basically i need to write a comparison of an AMD Athlon x2 with a Intel core2 duo. Any info you guys can give is a bonus. I trawled the net but everywhere was just trying to sell the things to me.

Processors are one of the few things about computers i can't stand. I think they are boring.

Any help is very much appreciated.

:bounce:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

:heink: . o O (so he wants everyone else to do the dirty werk, eh?)

uguv

Distinguished

Good luck with that! Maybe Thunderman can impart some of his deep wisdom on the subject.

runswindows95

Distinguished
If you think processors are boring, then you shouldn't be writing about computers much less using one. Also, you didn't do much research then. First, I would go to AMD and Intel to gather all the technical information about each CPU architecture. Then I would go through the THG archives and pull up old articles about that topic. You could even post a photo from the CPU charts comparing the real life performance of each one. Even Anandtech, ExtremeTech, Ars Technica, etc will have old articles about that topic.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
ATIAMD = DAAMIT !!
Intel Inside = Fool Outside.

You can start your work with those 2 points of view. By saying this im getting ready to be flamed to hell and back.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Here I will write your report for you...

Intel is chip A

AMD is chip B

One cost more but preforms better in most home desktop applications. The other cost less but doesn't preform as well in most apps.

The End ... A++++++ Please list me as your source so I can get some credit for myself.

GL

I was prepared to say, "OH, CRAP! Not another Intel vs. AMD post."
This is almost as bad.

Wrong place for an attitude like that.

OK. Let's see ...

AMD - superior architecture hamstrung by excessively mediocre execution. But that's an opinion - and a pun.

Your biggest problem is that your paper will be obsolete in 3 - 6 months when Nehalem arrives, but most teachers would not realize that.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Very well said.

@the OP i think you can quote him on that. Pretty safe/accurate information.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Man, maybe it's just me, but I could easily write a novel about this topic just by focusing on the history and development of both CPU's. Again, as jsc said, you're at the wrong place with an attitude like that.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
wrong place buddy if ur not interested y r u writing about it.
But if u have to Wikipedia amd and intel and learn the history between the 2 companies. good luck. =]

jonbull
Profile: stranger
More Information

LOL Never even used the forum before, and he's here asking us to write an article/paper for him? I could understand a forum regular asking for input on the topic perhaps. But a brand new registered 'user' asking everyone to do all the work is... well....amazing. Not to mention extremely lazy and selfish.

Sorry dude. I'm not going to spend my time doing your homework for you either.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Hmmm....

Intel started in 1968. AMD started in 1969. One company took risks and made several products before becoming exclusively a semi-conductor company. One company started as a second source for the other company at the request of another company in 1982. It was at this time, that the one company tried to keep the other companies products from being available, but lost that battle, which started competition in the CPU arena. That has been that way up until now.
The End

There you go.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
@OP that is the laziest(spelling?) person i have ever seen on earth! i have seen many lazy and not bother to do ANY work. but this is the laiest person but still want to do work by other people do it for him!

piece of advice:if you dont want to get yourself kicked i think you should close the thread.

a good break at the HD4xxx hype though!:p

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
You need to write a paper, and you choose to use a discussion forum for your source? Dude, you're about as smart as a sack of hammers. That is, unless this is some lame attempt at trolling for a flame war, in which case you can take away some hammers.

AMD vs Intel ?

06-05bmwsaubertitle2.jpg

raikkonen-test-z-01_230107.jpg

It .... could .... go ... ei ..... ther ....... WAY!

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
AMD is made by wizards
Intel is made by robots.
AMD uses fairy dust.
Intel uses dilithium crystals.
AMD is polythiestic.
Intel is monothiestic.
AMD likes beef jerkey.
Intel likes turkey jerkey.
AMD has two gay uncles.
Intel has two dads.
AMD is left handed.
Intel is right handed.
AMD has a crewcut.
Intel has a mullet.
AMD is venus.
Intel is from mars.
AMD is mayonaise.
Intel is miracle whip.
AMD is a cuttlefish.
Intel is a squid.
AMD is electric socks.
Intel is pantyhose.
AMD is boots.
Intel is ballet shoes.
AMD is a helocopter.
Intel is a learjet.
AMD is Iron man.
Intel is the hulk.

get it?

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Well if he would have been smart he could have just posted ....

I'm building a new machine and I need to know if I should use AMD or Intel and why?

He would have gotten pages and pages.

People here give all kinds of advice to people about what parts to use when they are ordering parts or building their own machines and the people asking rarely do their own dirty work....and a lot of them sign up here just for advice on the build....without doing the dirty work themselves.

but this guy.......screw him...he's too lazy ROFL :pt1cable: