Sign in with
Your question

Help know-nothing upgrade Graphics card, MB, CPU, and ram for games

Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2008 5:37:42 PM

Hello,
First off, I am going to put a $1k gap on this system. I already have a case, ps, rom drives etc in an ATX case. I just want to be able to play games on an HDTV at 1080p with nice performance. So, I started looking at Tom's and newegg to see what I can get. First thing I don't get is pci-e 2.0. It seems like a lot of the high end cards run on this. Is this a lot better than the older pci-e? Also, is it a good idea to get the 780 SLI or just a single, really good graphics card? From what I understand, sli lets you run two cards at the same time. Is this worth the cost of the more expensive MB and two cards?
What type of ram and how much is adequate in a gaming system? I see all sorts of different speeds for DDR2 and some MB come with DDR3 options. Is 8GB really necessary? Do you need the high end ram for gaming or is the video card the most important?
As far as CPU's go, from what I can tell, I wanted to get a quad core. I'm not sure if I'll need something better than this.
Check out my know nothing list from newegg and let me know what you think. I am trying to decide between the two motherboards based on the SLI opinion. Feel free to shoot holes in my selection as I need the help.

See you later,

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard or
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel core 2 quad q6660 kentsfield 2.5 ghz lga 775

MSI Geforce 8800GTS
May 18, 2008 2:24:57 PM

P5K-E WIFI uses the same PCB as the Deluxe. You can save a bit of money. Throw in a 9800GX2. No lesser SLI setups can beat it. I'm sure you know the gpu war begins in June. To be specific, mid June. You might wanna pick up a cheap-o placeholder and upgrade it in June.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?atta...

At least 2 gigs of ram for gaming. 4 would be great, but it would need to run on 64-bit os. On 32-bit, up to 3.5GB is usable. At the current low prices, grab as much as you can afford w/o going over budget. 4GB.
Related resources
!