Guys, I need help. . .building server for 1st time

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Hey guys. I really need your help on this one. I have a friend who wants me to build a computer that will handle traffic for auto-dialers (~200 lines on gigabit network). I tried to make it sound like I knew what to do, but I am really lost. I can build the crap out of a gaming system, but got nothing on this.

The main function, like I said, will be handling traffic and database functions. He said MySQL is the program he uses.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Case (rackmount)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219004

CPU: Q6600 should I do this or something else?

RAM: Patriot 4gigs DDR2 800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000170147+1052315794+1052108080+4801&name=Mail+In+Rebate

Mobo: here's a HUGE question. I haven't the foggiest idea. will a standard ATX mobo do, or do I need something else?
Will having dual gigabit ethernet on the board help? should I look for a PCI card to handle the ethernet?

HDD: probably 750 gig western digital. Should I go with a raptor instead? What is the best HD for this type of application?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I don't even know if I'm asking the right questions.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
the motherboard and hard drive questions are the biggest ones to me. If i need a server motherboard, I'll obviously have to look for a different processor.

will regular desktop SATA 7200rpm hard drives work well for this purpose? if so, should i get at least two for a RAID 0? if not, should I go with a raptor, or even a 15k scsi drive?

i have to plead ignorance, as i've never done servers, and don't really know where they need power and speed. CPU? HDD? Memory?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
What exactly is he doing?

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
it's a computer that manages traffic for auto-dialers, which are making VOIP calls to customers. it will manage the database and distribute work to the dialers, to the best of my understanding anyway.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
What OS will he use? You need a mobo that has the drivers for that OS. The same goes for the other parts.

Then you need to find out what his projected traffic/load will be. What will the database hit look like?

This kind of thing takes planning to develop, and then monitoring and performance profiling to get right.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
thanks for the help, guys, you sound like you know what you're talking about. will xp pro work, or do we need to use something else?

i didn't know that mobos had drivers for os's

i built him a system a year ago, it was only running an AMD x2 3600 @2.4ghz, that's become too slow now, so we're going quad-core. it was running xp pro.

i figured the q6600 would be a huge step up from where he is, but wasn't sure if there is another bottleneck i should be looking for (hdd, os, memory)

please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does database hit mean, and how would I monitor the performance of this type of setup? I can monitor cpu usage, but what would you use to monitor hdd performance?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Whoever he is buying the software from should have recommended hardware requirements. Just curious could you post a link to whatever he is going to use. Have him email the link to you.