Mobo HDMI and power questions

baseace101

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I am planning a new build, and think the GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI is gonna be perfect. BUT, since there's already a HDMI out on board, and I plan to hook the rig up to a plasma tv,

1. Do I need to buy any extra video/graphics cards, adapters, etc. in order to get true HDMI output(for Blu-ray for example)?

2. If I just wanted to play normal DVDs in a DVD drive, will the HDMI hook up mess with the quality at all?

I am a noob, and this is my first build, and from all the different computers I have taken apart, they all seem to have different "Power-on button" hook-ups to the mobo? Am I missing anything or are they all universal some how?

Let me know what you think and if you have any insight into all this nonsense ;)

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
The reviews say that all that is possible.

Exactly HOW you actually do it = read the mobo manual - or so I would think.

Supposedly it runs bluray - but you probaably need a bluray drv to do it.

As for DVD, they are considerably lower quality than bluray - so that s/b easy.

I have read on anandtech about hi-def sound requiring use of the DVI to HDMI adaptor - without that you only get 2channel sound - whereas the hidef is like 8(?) channel sound. And I believe that is also supported. (this is refer to a 'standard' that I believe is supported ) ("UDP" (?) or something similar like that)

Doing hidef stuff is pretty new for a lot of people - there aren't too many knowledgeable experts around.
I am not experienced; but have been researching the 780G board for some time now. So I speak theoretically. Yes it should work - the HTPC concept is a major feature of the board, and it will do it with a slow or older cpu.

WHAT YOU BETTER UNDERSTAND !!
- goto anandtech - see this link - do your homework!
This info will affect what CPU you choose!!! (first line has a link to "original article".) I am getting tired of trying to tell people about this - most have not read it - and will not.
Basicallly 125watt cpu is out! (pop goes the mosfet). 95watt or lower is ok.
read this stuff slowly
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3299