scruff304

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all.

First of all, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. I couldn't seem to find anything else. Just a quick question tho.

My Gfx card is overheating. I'm currently running a GIGABYTE X38-DQ6 MoBo with a 8800 GT 512 MB, inside an Aurora 570 Chassis. Everything inside case is very clean cut and no excess cables to stop airflow. There are no extra expansion cards. Card isn't overclocked either.

Thanks in advance for your guys (and gals) help

scruff304

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Well my issues is that it is only running at bout 75 or so, but while in game, the graphics start to really mess out and frames break up and stuff like that. Not sure if you know what I'm talking bout? Only happens when card has been running awhile. Happened with Crysis a while back, and now with A-Creed. . . And yes, they are both legit copies. . .

Is that 75c idle or load?
From what you describe, I would agree that it is overheating in game.
Start by cranking the fan speed up to 100% in RivaTuner.
The coolers on the GT are not known to be very powerful...

Also, check just to be sure your GPU is not clogged up with dust.

scruff304

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Load I'm guessing. After running it in A-Creed for a couple of hours. Will check it if it is dusty, but doubt it cause the card is still pretty new and was only bought in Dec. Computer sits in a very clean environment.

You have these solutions:

1-after market cooler.

2-use rivatuner and just adjust the fan speed to higher.
my fan works always at 45% i get 50c idle. while at load it runs at 75% n maintain 70c

3- Update the video BIOS with one that will change the fan speed based on temp EVGA, XFX, BFG

But I found out it not much of help since I've tried to increase it to 100% by using RivaTuner and now I've replaced it with TT DuOrb and works just GREAT, reducing my idle temp from 59C to 43C and full load from 75C to 53C.

If you are running the card stock without an OC unless it was OCed from the factory, I would call the manufacturer. It could be a defective card and need replaced. There should be no reason he has to upgrade the cooling to correct a problem that shouldn't be happening. I see many issues people post about the GT's I'd be calling the card company to tell them the issue and return it until it if fixed.

.... this is why I got the GTS. I read to many GT overheating posts.

scruff304

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Jay2tall does make a good point. Will consider doing that. Also getting from a friend the VF1000 LED to try out. Will let you guys know what is happening.

Was just thinking, if my machine is running at only mid 70's on load, then surely I shouldn't be getting these visual problems.

mid 70's should not be an issue, even into the 80C range is acceptable. Graphic cards can run hot. My old x1900xtx on load ran over 90C with the stock cooler all the time.

Just curious is the issue you are having artifacts or the screen just starts to tear up? What if you reduce the settings does that help or not? I know in certain games before I upgraded if I ran at to high of settings the FPS were low and I could see tearing alot more in certain games. Just a thought. What fps are you running at when this happens?

scruff304

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Not sure what the FPS is, but game still runs very smoothly. How can I check what the FPS are. New to this kinda thing with my machine. O, and when I downloaded Rivatuner and tried extracting it here on my work machine it says "Rivatuner209-[Guru3D.com].exe is not a supported archive."

That's odd, Rivatuner has a built in OSD (on screen display) that can be set to show FPS. There is the FRAPS program that some use and its easy to use. Not sure where to get it from. I still say the card may be deffective if the temps are good and its causing issues.

scruff304

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008

Came right with download. One source might be dodge. Tried different one and worked.

Will go home tonight and try it out and see what is going on. . .

Northernheat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Could be the V-sync in the game options , i had that issue when i had v-sync on , but once i turned it off it went away , I have the 8800 GT aswell and i replaced the stock cooler soon as i got it , with a AC accelro S2 , i got a 120 fan blowing directetly across the vid card , and temps dropped about 15-20 degree's.

scruff304

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Just an update guys. Not a v-sync issues, it was already switched of, but after running Rivatuner I saw that my card wasn't loading at 72-73, but actually at bout 94!!! Other program giving me wrong stats.

Cranked up the fan speed and now it seems to be a whole lot better. Will keep check on it and keep you all updated.

Thanks for all the help.