my first post-WOW PC

shemmy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
after many years of playing WOW i've finally decided to update my PC this year to get ready for all the new MMO's coming out that i'm going to try. it will also be used quite a bit for photoshop and some video editing. the video stuff is primarily just holiday videos and the like.

i'll be picking up a 22" or 24" monitor in about 6 weeks but i also hope to hook this up to my telly which is a full hd 1920*1200 display.

i've managed to scrounge together a few bits and pieces and lucked out on others, but i'm unsure how to get it all working together properly. i tried reading the cpu/gpu article on toms but it all got a bit confusing so need some help making a new system.

here's what i have so far:

Geforce 9600 - kindly donated by a mate who is getting whatever the latest and greatest gfx card is in a few weeks.

vista 64 - not for any techy reason, only due to amazon's mistake in sending me this about 6 weeks ago and not asking for it back.

antec 180 case with a tagan 450w power supply - the front usb ports are all busted but it comes with all the fans etc inside.

hard drives/dvd from my old system along with the keyboard/mouse.

what's left to get is a motherboard, ram, cpu and maybe some sort of dedicated video editing card if required(this will be my first try at video stuff on my pc. the signal will come direct from my video-cam). i don't want to get involved in overclocking or anything like that. i just want to build it, shut the case door and not have to worry about stuff.

from what i gather vista64 will need a lot of ram. does it need to be good ram or does it just have to be a lot? will i also have to be choosy about which motherboard/cpu i get or does the OS not really matter? i'd also like to stick with onboard sound to save a few quid. i've also got a usb memory stick i can use for the boost thing that vista does.

my total budget is pretty strictly limited to no more than £400.

thanks in advance!

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
IF you're doing video editing, grab a Quad Core CPU......Q6600 will do nicely and is considerably cheaper than the new 45nm ones.

Any cheap mobo will do the trick......Gigabyte P35-DS3L will do nicely and is very affordable.

RAM.......any 2x2gb sticks will work great. Vista 64-bit doesn't use alot of RAM.......it lets you use alot of RAM if you want. Any brand RAM will do the trick if you're on a budget and won't be overclocking.

Agreed 100%.

I assume your video-cam can connect to the PC via USB. If it needs FireWire and doesn't have USB then you can either upgrade to GA-P35-DS3P or add a PCI card for FireWire.

Tagan is not a bad brand. Still, there are better PSUs out there. Check this out:
http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings

eVGA recommends at least a 400W PSU for its 9600GT.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130334
Still, it's good to have a little upgrade room, so get something with 500W or more.