stock q6600 load temps

newkid

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Hello all

First post but got alot of information from here when building my rig and looking for some advice

I'll give my system spec first off

Motherboard gigabyte ep35c-dsr3r
Processor intel q6600
Ram 4gb geil ddr2 800 (2 x 2gb sticks)
Gpu xfx 9600 gt (alpha dog 512mb)
Hdd some unknown sata 280gb hdd
Cooling Thermaltake bigwater 745
Psu 600watt

Been testing my cpu temps under load with prime95 and getting these results

Can anyone help me out with why core 0 and 1 are a fair bit higher (same differences when idle) i have tried resitting the the heatsick and reapplying coolmaster thermal paste but always end up with the same results .

Thanks

Michael

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
temps are normal
- has do with placement of the measuring device - core temps are not magic. what i mean by magic, is we can not stick the tip of probe as used to cook meat and get an exact temp

also load balance

65 -70c at max at 3.6ghz is normal

40-45c under low load or no oc or bad cooling is nomal

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The digital thermal sensors are integrated into the IC and in the same place on every Q6600.

My guess is that the IHS is not flat or maybe you have the tubes pulling on the water block a little bit. core 0,1 are at the top and 2,3 are on the bottom, assuming your mobo is mounted in a standard ATX case. Try pressing on the water block gently, on the upper right and upper left, to see if the temps come down.

Some 45nm CPUs have problems with sticking DTSs, but I haven't heard that on the 65nm ones, it's certainly possible though.

newkid

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
So am i best going by the highest temp? and is it worth while doing the sanding thing i read up on were u remove all the silver of the heatsink spreader.

I'll also add ive always had these differences even when on standard heatsink and when i tried the akasa 922. Obviously now being on water cooling has dropped these temps alot tho.

cheers

Mikey

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'd say the temps would be affected by calibration from Intel. Not much you can do about it, unless the top of the CPU is not flat or the bottom of the HS is not flat.

My temps atm are: 35/38/35/35

Which I'm happy with, and I've already installed 2 different HS with the same result as far as Core1 being 3C higher.

Lapping is really up to you. It voids your warranty. It can bring your temps down some. And if you work so hard in getting it smooth and shiny, and decide to take the HSF off, you may end up scratching your lap job, which is basically defeating the purpose in the first place if you ask me. :lol:

Keep in mind that when you run Prime95, usually there is not going to be any programs that would actually make your cores work that hard, unless your doing folding @ home, or heavy encoding over a long period of time. Generally its used on OC system to make sure it stable, but then is a handy tool for even stock systems.

I'd say the temps you have off those loads are fine, especially since your using speed fan, and it's tjmax is set to 100C.