crazy core temperatures

G

Hi, I'm generally dont worry over the little nuances of my computer but the fact that my CPU apparently idles at 85 degrees celsius seemed a little odd. After seeing this I had the stock CPU fan replaced with with something a lot larger but the temperatures didnt change at all. I checked the CPU temp in speedfan and the bios and they both come up with similar numbers so I was wondering if maybe the sensors were faulty as the individual cores are being rated at around 55 degrees.

the processor is an intel QX6700 with no overclocking and has been running like this for several months. Thanks in advance for any help.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
You really should list your system components in order to provide people with a starting point to help you.
1. Case
2. Power supply
3. Motherboard
4. CPU, CPU cooler
5. Memory (type, amount - eg Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB)
6. Video card
7. Any BIOS settings that are not at default.
Also specify what program you are using to read your temps.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
dam thats a problem

yeppers - the cores are usually hotter then main temp

sound like faulty reading - reinstall the program thats giving the reading or just live with it sounds wrong

G

Sorry

Case- not sure really, airflow should be fine tho
Power supply - Enermax Galaxy 1000W
Motherboard - Asus P5W DH deluxe
CPU - intel QX6700
CPU cooler - Scythe Infinity
Memory - 4GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400
No overclocking
Checked the temps in the Bios, Speedfan and PCWizard 2008.

The only Bios option not at its factory setting is the memory remap function, which shouldnt have anything to do with CPU temps

Also, I didnt put together the CPU and mobo myself and the company that did was a bit haphazard

I read the temps in several different programs and the bios so i dont think its a misread.

I thought that it could possibly be that in production some insulation was left on it but I thought I'd ask before moving anything, My CPU cooler is very sharp and awkward to move.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
To make more sense of the temps.

All Core 2 Duo's have 3 sensors.

Tcase sensor - is between the cores, or serves as an IHS temp for the bios, since it shows a single temp.

Tjuction Sensors - Digital sensor on the core, known as DTS.

So, one in between, then one for each core.

You said you were reading 85C on which sensor?

The Thermal Spec which Intel does publish for the QX6700, is 65C. So it shouldn't exceed that temp in the bios. If it does, RMA it.

Edit:

Intel® Core2 Extreme Processor QX6700

G

Sorry I'm not incredibly knowledgable but this is the readout I get

Processor Temperature : 82 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 1) : 56 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 2) : 54 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 3) : 50 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 4) : 54 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 32 °C
Power/Aux Temperature : 61 °C

I'm not sure about what return options I have, I bought the comp, not the processor as a separate unit and have since upgraded. If it really is running at this sort of temperature I could threaten to sue as this sort of temperature wouldnt have passed compulsorary safety testing.

Hopefully I can fix the problem without having to do that though

G

remember thats idle temperatures, I'll check the max load temps now but im willing to bet they are over 100

-EDIT- Yup, 102 degrees under stress and then I got shutdown. Officially a fire hazard

Is this likely to be due to bad installation or is it just a processor that got past quality testing?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Those temp reading, looks like your using speedfan. When you install speedfan, its only going to tell you what it detects. Its basically up to you to figure out what its telling you. The only readings that I think are right, are the core temps. I'm not too sure on the 1st one, which is 82C. Is that the same reading your getting in the bios?

It is very possible that the HSF is not on correctly, especially if its a 4 pin mount for a stock HSF. A back plate mount would provide better contact, but would require the MB to be out of the PC case.

If everything is installed correctly, and if the temps are high, I'd say there is something wrong with the sensors, but it's not too likely for 65nm dies, the 45nm dies would perhaps have problems. The only way to fix that is RMA.

Perhaps you should take it back to the company that built it for you, and tell them your having high temps and shut downs when the CPU is under load.

G

Thanks for the advice, yes the idle temps were the same in the bios and the HSF seems pretty firm. Looks like I'll be listening to a lot of hold music in the near future, I'm not really confident enough to check the mounting myself.