Programs in Startup folder not being loaded

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

When I turn my computer on none of the programs in C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are loaded - I've only
got 3 program shortcuts there, other startup programs must be
elsewhere.

Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening (began a few days ago
but at first I thought it was just one program that I use a lot)

Thanks!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
More about programs startup folder loaded
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi John,

    What other programs are you expecting to see listed there that aren't?
    Also, the "All Users" list differs greatly from different profiles. That
    said, it also differs via viewing (cosmetic but a bug to some just the
    same).

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I turn my computer on none of the programs in C:\Documents and
    > Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are loaded - I've only
    > got 3 program shortcuts there, other startup programs must be
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening (began a few days ago
    > but at first I thought it was just one program that I use a lot)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Shortcuts in the Startup folders do not run at Windows startup
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/norunstartup.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:aijtf19ah79395chiovdldhu93j7eog7bu@4ax.com,
    John Latter <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I turn my computer on none of the programs in C:\Documents and
    > Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are loaded - I've only
    > got 3 program shortcuts there, other startup programs must be
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening (began a few days ago
    > but at first I thought it was just one program that I use a lot)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:09:05 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi John,
    >
    >What other programs are you expecting to see listed there that aren't?
    >Also, the "All Users" list differs greatly from different profiles. That
    >said, it also differs via viewing (cosmetic but a bug to some just the
    >same).
    >
    >--

    No other programs:

    >> When I turn my computer on none of the programs in C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are loaded - I've only
    >> got 3 program shortcuts there, other startup programs must be
    >> elsewhere.

    Other programs such as MBM5, Win Patrol etc are started elsewhere.
    Dunno how to make it clearer :(

    Only got All Users and John Robert profiles, everything was working ok
    til recently.

    John

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:15:41 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Shortcuts in the Startup folders do not run at Windows startup
    >http://windowsxp.mvps.org/norunstartup.htm
    >
    >--
    >Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    >Wes
    >MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    >In news:aijtf19ah79395chiovdldhu93j7eog7bu@4ax.com,
    >John Latter <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> When I turn my computer on none of the programs in C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are loaded - I've only
    >> got 3 program shortcuts there, other startup programs must be
    >> elsewhere.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening (began a few days ago
    >> but at first I thought it was just one program that I use a lot)
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    Hi Wesley,

    Thankyou for the link! I followed these instructions:

    Open Registry Editor and navigate to these locations one by one and
    change each of the shell folders path to the default values as given
    below:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders]

    Startup %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    Common Startup %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    When I clicked on "User Shell Folders" in each case I found that the
    above paths were already there (amonst others - did he mean for me to
    change them?).

    Also, the first one had a subfolder called "New" to the User Shell
    Folder which just had "Default ... value not set in it.

    :(

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi John,

    Those look like the correct values.

    By the by...
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    is
    C:\Documents and Settings\John Robert\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    and
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    is
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Do the shortcuts in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    start the programs if you double click them?

    If they do not work, make sure that the path in the Target box is correct.
    Right click shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Target
    I.e. ZoneAlarm, C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe

    If they do work, just for fun, copy the shortcuts from
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    C:\Documents and Settings\John Robert\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    Reboot and see if they start.

    What programs are you talking about anyway?

    Whether it is correct or not my key is the same...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders\New
    (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:t63uf1ll5taf6aos86je2lhackqnhako5q@4ax.com,
    John Latter <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:15:41 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Shortcuts in the Startup folders do not run at Windows startup
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/norunstartup.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:aijtf19ah79395chiovdldhu93j7eog7bu@4ax.com,
    >> John Latter <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> When I turn my computer on none of the programs in C:\Documents and
    >>> Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are loaded - I've only
    >>> got 3 program shortcuts there, other startup programs must be
    >>> elsewhere.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening (began a few days ago
    >>> but at first I thought it was just one program that I use a lot)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >
    > Hi Wesley,
    >
    > Thankyou for the link! I followed these instructions:
    >
    > Open Registry Editor and navigate to these locations one by one and
    > change each of the shell folders path to the default values as given
    > below:
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders]
    >
    > Startup %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    >
    > Common Startup %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >
    > When I clicked on "User Shell Folders" in each case I found that the
    > above paths were already there (amonst others - did he mean for me to
    > change them?).
    >
    > Also, the first one had a subfolder called "New" to the User Shell
    > Folder which just had "Default ... value not set in it.
    >
    > :(
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi John,

    What makes you think they aren't running? Is the process listed via the
    Task Manager? Is your plea because the icon isn't listed or showing via the
    Notification Area? Do you Auto-Logon?

    In the meantime, if the latter applies:

    Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account
    or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.

    Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)

    Troubleshooting the Notification Area
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

    Either way, install and run:

    Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

    --

    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:09:05 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi John,
    >>
    >>What other programs are you expecting to see listed there that aren't?
    >>Also, the "All Users" list differs greatly from different profiles. That
    >>said, it also differs via viewing (cosmetic but a bug to some just the
    >>same).
    >>
    >>--
    >
    > No other programs:
    >
    >>> When I turn my computer on none of the programs in C:\Documents and
    >>> Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are loaded - I've only
    >>> got 3 program shortcuts there, other startup programs must be
    >>> elsewhere.
    >
    > Other programs such as MBM5, Win Patrol etc are started elsewhere.
    > Dunno how to make it clearer :(
    >
    > Only got All Users and John Robert profiles, everything was working ok
    > til recently.
    >
    > John
    >
    >>All the Best,
    >>Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >>Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> When I turn my computer on none of the programs in C:\Documents and
    >>> Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are loaded - I've only
    >>> got 3 program shortcuts there, other startup programs must be
    >>> elsewhere.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening (began a few days ago
    >>> but at first I thought it was just one program that I use a lot)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> John Latter
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:33:51 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Hi John,
    >
    >Those look like the correct values.
    >
    >By the by...
    >%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >is
    >C:\Documents and Settings\John Robert\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >and
    >%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >is
    >C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >
    >Do the shortcuts in
    >C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >start the programs if you double click them?
    >
    >If they do not work, make sure that the path in the Target box is correct.
    >Right click shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Target
    >I.e. ZoneAlarm, C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    >
    >If they do work, just for fun, copy the shortcuts from
    >C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >C:\Documents and Settings\John Robert\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >Reboot and see if they start.
    >
    >What programs are you talking about anyway?
    >
    >Whether it is correct or not my key is the same...
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    >Shell Folders\New
    >(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

    Hi Wesley,

    The shortcuts work ok, the programs are proximitron, vcool, and
    stickies. At the moment I've moved them to the John Robert startup
    folder. I rebooted the system, stickies appeared but not the others.
    I'm afraid I'm only half awake at the moment cos proximitron showed up
    as running in task manager but it didn't register and I didn't check
    if vcool was - am out of time at the moment & will have to come back
    on this. Thankyou very much indeed for your help!

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:48:32 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi John,
    >
    >What makes you think they aren't running? Is the process listed via the
    >Task Manager? Is your plea because the icon isn't listed or showing via the
    >Notification Area? Do you Auto-Logon?
    >
    >In the meantime, if the latter applies:
    >
    >Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account
    >or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.
    >
    >Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >
    >Troubleshooting the Notification Area
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
    >
    >Either way, install and run:
    >
    >Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

    Hi Kelly,

    I think I've made rather a pigs ear of this. I've just switched on
    again for the second time since following Wesley's suggestion (to move
    the 3 shortcuts from the All Users profile to the John Robert one) and
    everything worked ok.

    The first time I did it I'm pretty sure that at least some of the
    programs were running as shown in the task manager but the icons were
    missing.

    Furthermore, this may have been the case when I first switched on this
    morning before I moved the shortcuts. Even if the programs were
    running they were only half working - stickies, for example, should
    have given me some early morning reminders which it didn't do until I
    'manually' started it.

    I auto logon & have recently connected this machine to another one
    using a crossover cable, dunno if the playing around I did mucked
    anything up.

    I'm a bit hesitant in logging off because I dunno what password I may
    have set is - though I'm pretty sure it will be one of two general
    ones I use.

    Thankyou for the links. I've run Tracker and the results can be found
    here:

    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/startup.html

    I looked at

    Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)

    and where it says:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\upnphost]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSDPSRV]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

    I've only checked the first one and the current value is 3, can I
    change this independent of logging on/off?

    Finally, this is from an earlier post that I didn't get a reply to:

    "I looked at 'customize notifications' for the taskbar and the icons &
    textstrings are mismatched for previous itms - eg against proxomitron
    it says "you have new mail". Current items are correct."

    Dunno if its related to the problem I have now.

    Thankyou for your help Kelly :)

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP