Sign in with
Your question

To raid or not to raid...

Last response: in Storage
August 20, 2009 12:52:40 AM

Hello!

This is my first post. I've been a reader forever and I couldnt find what I was looking for.

Currently, I have 2xST3250823AS (Seagate Barracuda 7200.8) Drives in Raid 0 being managed from my onboard VIA 3149 Raid controller. I've been rarely blue screening with the viaraid.sys driver failing and after a reboot the problem goes away but its making me nervous.

So before the driver tanks and I'm left with a dead array, I've backed up all my data on a separate external drive and am now wondering if it would be better to just install the two drives on thier own SATA channels and do with the RAID 0?

I use my computer for gaming mostly and I read the I can gain more fps but offloading the cycles I loose to the onboard raid controller by going with a straight sata/sata setup.

Could a budget minded gamer shed some light on this? Im tryin to get the best raw speed possible without the anxiety. :) 

Thanks,

Brian

More about : raid raid

August 20, 2009 2:32:29 AM

Anyone?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 20, 2009 3:09:53 AM

You mean you plan to do without the RAID controller and set up a software-based array? I'm not really sure what the benefits/disadvantages of that are; you may want to check the RAID FAQ sticky.
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2009 3:18:20 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Actually, I want to do without the array completely. And Im wondering if its worth switching. Can the viamraid.sys BSOD be fixed? I read that VIA onboard controller drivers are terrible.

Will I really gain alot by saving the CPU from managing the onboard controller?
m
l
a c 348 G Storage
August 21, 2009 6:05:59 PM

What I read here is that the speed-up from using RAID0 over none is small, even for gamers. To optimize your speed you would be well advised to ensure you have enough RAM so that Windows (or whatever OS) has space to cache some files there. Of course, you must have better than 1GB or RAM to do gaming at all, anyway, so you can avoid running to the Virtual Memory on the HDD.

Real experience from gamers, with actual measurements if possible, could help here, though. that's not me.
m
l
!