i wanta geta Nvidia 280

PDXPoe

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Hi all,
Long time reader, first time poster.
What I was hoping is that I could get some advice on how to get one of the Nvidia 280s on release. I passed on the 9xxx stuff and I really want to get a 280 on release day.
I normally wait awhile, but this time I want to treat myself.
Honestly I am surprised I can't find a place to pre order. It's not long to the release date (June 17 or 18).
Thx

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
There's a pretty good chance that the new cards from ATI will perform better then the 280s, definitely the 4870X2 if not the 4870.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I don't think the 4800 series or the 280 series pertains to mainstream users or enthusiasts in particular. The 4800 series is supposed to perform better, and since ATI wants to regain market share there prices will be extremely competitive.

EDIT: Grammar

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I will b very surprised if that actually turns out to be the case. It will more than likely perform better in the price/performance ratio area, but overall raw performance I am not so sure. Like said above...the 4870 is more of a mainstream card...give it a REALLY good mainstream card in all probability, but alas I feel that for true enthusiasts or in this case (people wanting to treat themselves) Then the 280 will probably be the highest performer and in that case the better option for said person. Although I could be wrong...we will just have to wait and see I suppose, which is driving me crazy lol

Oh and at the OP: I also believe that these will be in a decent stock, because of the price and the hype that is forming around the 4870's. My assumption is that the the launch we saw with the 3870 will be very similar to the 4870. As in, not being able to pump out enough cards.

Best,

3Ball

romulus47plus1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
I don't think AMD/ATI would really want to regain top spot.
Maybe they would with the 4870, but now the mainstream market is just great and it represent the mass and if you conquer mainstream, you'll gonna get lots of profits.
Yeah, I think I made my point there

OK try to stick to the OP's question and not a X vs Y discussion (we have a few of those opportunities already).

For either card I also say, camp the Egg on release day and have your Credit Card ready, you should be able to snag one that way.

Another option is to ask the local BestBuy or CicuitCity, et al. the night before "Did you get any XXXXXX in for tomorrow's launch?" "Are there only limited quantities?", then decide which is your best option for getting it quickest and for the best value.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Isn't there going to be a die shrink to 55nm after the first release? Those are the GTX280's and 260's for Nvidia fans to wait for -- especially if you have anything like an 8800gtx 320 or better.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
That's the problem: things I've read questioned the viability of the 65nm version that's coming out first. The die shrink to 55nm should solve some of that, but why are they even bothering with 65nm?

It strikes me as similar to Phenom at 65nm not being as viable as 45nm is supposed to be. Perhaps Nvidia's just pushing the product out to beat ATI's 4870 and 4870x2?

Total disregard of the fanbase, if you ask me. The GTX could turn out to be Nvidia's mimicking of ATI's X2900XT in terms of performance and thermals.

The market does not dictate that either company release their next product at the same time as the other, only that people buy the best price/performance with a bit of influence from whichever company has the high end in that generation.

Ive heard it runs using 150 watts or so. But Ive also heard it uses 236 watts too. With over 1 billion trannys in it, Im betting its closer to the latter number. Youll need a stout psu and good air for this card. But whats new with that? Its top end, no holds barred mentality being used here

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
If it were truly a "no holds barred" high end mentality, then they would not announce that they're transitioning to 55nm with the same GPU. If they had confidence in the first generation of GTX, they would hold off on 55nm until they came up with the GTX300. Nvidia knows they're pushing something a bit dodgy on their fanbase just to get benchies a bit higher than ATI in Crysis.

Im NOT defending nVidia here. I hated all the G8xxx confusion, the G9xxx confusion, the waiting for 5 months for a new driver etc. All Im say ing is, word was the 4xxx series from ATI wouldnt be out this soon. Yes, this pushes the release dates on nVidia. Yes they would have rather gone with 55nm on first launch, but thats not how it is. nVidia isnt just gonna stand by and wait, while ATI totally dominates with their new cards. They made too much money from the 8xxx series, so they know what that means. All Im saying is that, if nVidia wants to, and may still do, is release a more powerful/hungry card on the 55nm refresh. What then? Would we then say, if you want the best single gpu solution out, youll have to face heat issues, power issues, and need great cooling? like Im already saying now? Its the highend, regardless. Itll be thast way with the 55nm if, like I said nVidia wants to push the most out of the refresh

yipsl, perhaps you would be able to give me some insite to what the 55nm die shrink will really mean to someone who purchases the first release GTX 280. The reason that I am asking is that I will be on holiday to the states when these are released. Given the current exchange rates and newegg's awesomeness I was considering upgrading my GTS 640.

From what I understand, the GTX 280 will run hot, miss it's target clocks and be fairly expensive. The price I can deal with. Not only have I been ferreting away cash since the G80 was released, the US prices will be much cheaper for me. In your opinion, how large will the benefits of waiting for the shrink be?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Imo, it will not be worth it to wait for the scale down of the core unless you are a heavy OC'er. In which case (most likely) you will get alot more out of it. It will probably be a few months before the refresh comes out and I just dont think that waiting is justified as I am sure that the GTX280 will perform quite well. I actually plan on getting one myself. Just my two cents...hopefully this helps.

Best,

3Ball

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Make sure you buy the card tax free in the US, as you will have to pay import duties upon arrival in the UK, plus a fine if you don't declare and are found to have it.

Thanks for the thoughts.
I do love to overclock but if this GPU is as powerful as they are claiming I am not sure if I will need to for a while. I would defiantly agree that the die shrink will bring benefits overclocking. I am just hoping they will not make improvements to the architecture in the (possibly) short time to the update. Has anyone heard rumors about a switch to GDDR5 with the update? It would seem like the perfect opportunity to me.

@ The_Abyss
I think I have that worked out.
While I am in the states I am going to complement some of the old parts I left there to build the Gf a HTPC. I am hoping that customs in Frankfurt will skip over an "old (looking) personal computer". Hopefully no one in the department is smart enough know the difference between the just released parts and old worthless parts ;)

hannibal

Distinguished

???

Well the name will be changed, that much has to be sure. If it's 281 as I hope, or 290 as I fear, no one can be sure... or something else, but even node shrinks normally get new name.

hannibal

Distinguished

With 512 bit memory interface... why would they need GDDR5? Hmmm... power saving... maybe, but otherwise It seems not to be valid alternative, other tweaks maybe... 280 would cost even more, even after die shrink than 65nm version with GDDR3...

I was thinking they might drop the expensive 512 bit/GDDR3 combo in favor of 256 bit/GDDR5. Not entirely sure how much more the GDDR5 costs but I would think drooping to a 256 bit bus would save quite a lot of cash.

I can never understand why people are so in a hurry to pay way too much money for brand new release hardware that will likely go through a couple of revisions, and driver re-writes during the first six months.
I always say wait at least 6 months and let everyone else be the guinea pigs. The first release cards are not going to be that much better than cards you can buy right now for half the price. And depsite what everyone thinks or predicts, or hopes for, they will NOT be cheap.