Sign in with
Your question

Short strokeing my WD Black

Last response: in Storage
August 20, 2009 4:13:13 AM

So i Just got my WD Caviar Black from newegg and i have decided to short stroke it. Its a 640gb and i was thinking 120gb would be good and Ive got 2 WD 80gb drivres ill RAID for storage. So what program should I use and uhh how do I go about it. Thanx

More about : short strokeing black

a c 177 G Storage
August 20, 2009 4:27:34 AM

edwinhess said:
So i Just got my WD Caviar Black from newegg and i have decided to short stroke it. Its a 640gb and i was thinking 120gb would be good and Ive got 2 WD 80gb drivres ill RAID for storage. So what program should I use and uhh how do I go about it. Thanx

The simplest is to do nothing special. Data will be loaded starting on the outermost , fastest part of the drive.

Otherwise you can use the windows storage management facilities to pertitionthe drive as you wish. I don't think it is worth the bother.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
August 20, 2009 4:51:10 AM

All you have to do is create a 120GB partition using the standard partitioning tools.

But I agree with geofelt - if you keep your drive defragmented with all of the files moved to the lowest LBNs then you're getting exactly the same performance benefit with a single partition the size of the entire disk without the restriction of an artificial limitation on capacity.
m
l
!