Sign in with
Your question

Sigh... Stumped on gateway drivers

Last response: in Windows XP
September 17, 2010 12:32:28 AM

A few weeks ago my buddies hard drive melted on him, was in a gateway fx6800-01e. After installing a new hard drive into the case, while installing xp we arrived upon problem 1. During the setup a stop 0x0000007b error repeatedly occurred, for whatever reason, changing some forgotten bios options from raid to ide cured this problem and installation proceeded. Not entirely sure if thats part of the current problem. Now xp is fully installed and i begin to search the net for the mobo, which is a tbgm01, drivers specifically the network driver so i can find everything else at his place and so i dont have to transfer everything via usb stick. Three painful hours later ive found nothing but a hatred for gateway.

Hoping that someone could point me in the right direction here cause im lost.... thx in advance
a b \ Driver
September 17, 2010 6:24:11 AM

Too bad you didn't specify the series of the computer. Gateway has a name for that computer as well as the model number. I'm just too lazy to go through every last machine they ever made looking for a match to that model number.

Also too bad you didn't say what else was included in the stop error message. It could have been a great clue as to what is causing the BSOD.
m
l
September 17, 2010 11:06:27 PM

tigsounds said:
Too bad you didn't specify the series of the computer. Gateway has a name for that computer as well as the model number. I'm just too lazy to go through every last machine they ever made looking for a match to that model number.

Also too bad you didn't say what else was included in the stop error message. It could have been a great clue as to what is causing the BSOD.

Isn't fx the series? And 6800-01e the model number?? Not so sure about a name for it though.... I've found the Vista drivers for the system, which is the OEM OS. But, as for XP drivers, they seem to be non existent and are certainly NOT on the gateway site. Anyone ever do a rollback to XP on one of these??

As for the BSOD, not so concerned about it now cause I've been able to bypass it... From what I read on a few different threads it was caused by the xp setup not having the correct drivers to control the hdd??? I don't know, I never actually seen the screen, it was described to me over the phone.
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
September 18, 2010 5:24:23 AM

Look at the Gateway support site HERE.

Click the first drop-down box (Step #1) and see what anyone responding to you sees.

Not a pretty picture if we don't know if it's a laptop, desktop, or whatever.

Click anything in step #2, and then look at the choices in step #2, again, not pretty,

Same for steps 3 & 4. This is why I said:

Quote:
I'm just too lazy to go through every last machine they ever made looking for a match to that model number

This is not going to be a saga or quest for me, or apparently anyone else.

We look for things like drivers the same way you can, by searching, and knowing some of the search terms that can get results.

Gateway is a bottom-of-the-barrel computer company in a few ways, including the crappy machines they make. They add insult to injury by putting people through hoops to get any useful information out of them after the sale.

You need to figure out what type, model, series, style, color, run number, and anything else you can learn about your machine to find so much as a new fuse.

I'm not going with the
"Isn't fx the series? And 6800-01e the model number??" bit. One look at their support site lets anyone know they have no intention of providing support. Their business model is based on the saying, "There's a sucker born every minute" and it shows.

Sorry not to be any help, but who's got the time and energy to so much as hunt down what you have there? If even you, sitting right in front of the machine can't determine what it is, how can anyone else?

m
l
September 18, 2010 7:11:13 PM

That site sucks the big one, was the first place I had looked. The vista drivers are posted on there site but no XP drivers. I'm assuming that is because the PC's native OS is vista and that they just can't be bothered in supporting other OS's, from what I've read the mobo (TBGM-01) was made specifically for gateway by ???? so I really don't know where else to look. Would it be safe to say that the best way to go here is to simply get my friend to pick up a copy of Vista?
m
l
a b \ Driver
September 18, 2010 10:08:42 PM

There's ways of hunting down who made every last component of the machine, but it's a lesson in frustration. If you can load Vista, you may very well be saving yourself a world of trouble, not just now but later as XP is getting swept out the door anyway. Support for Vista may be around for a few years to come. I'd go with Vista as there will be new things to get for the machine down the road. Nobody is going to make new stuff for XP anymore.
m
l
!