Q6600 4.0 GHZ WC TEMP CONFUSION ^+'%+^'%+ HELP!!!

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I know I bothered you with my own problems and everything but I just a comment on another forum that a man runs his q6600 4.0GHz cpu at idle 28-30 on load 38, now my temps are similar to this dudes but on stock clock, at 4.0 GHz I am running like 40 idle almost 65 on load(core temps).

My cooling setup is below and a photo if u can see what I am doing wrong.
PS: Please skip comments like reseat the water block and etc, because I tried, maybe either my fans or rads or that kinks out of my res are the problem. I dont know please help.

CPU BLOCK-----------Swiftech Apogee™ GTZ Universal CPU Waterblock
GPU BLOCK----------- EK Radeon HD4850 VGA Liquid Cooling Block
RADIATOR-------------Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 240 X-Flow Radiator - Red ***4 of NOCTUA NF-P12 ***
RADIATOR-------------MAGICOOL PRO II 240mm RADIATOR *** 2 case exhaust fans - dodgy brand but they blow ***
PUMP-------------------Swiftech MCP655-B™ 12v Water Pump 1200 L/H
HOSES------------------4 M 1/2 HOSE
PASTE----------- Shin-Etsu X-23-7762 Silicone Thermal Compound - 1g

index.php

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Yep, I know what it is. Your running a rather hot CPU and a pretty warm GPU, but have in total 120x4 raddage?

You sucking hot case air through the rad or blowing cool air in?

You said your fans might be dodgy, could be. The DD rad needs loud high CFM fans to cool well, you got that?

If using case air to blow into the back rad, that probably is 2C diff in temp.

Many chips are different. His chip stepping might be a better one, he can use less volts and it's cooler. He also could be in a VERY cold room, I see no mention of ambient temps. Probably a great chip, low ambients, and a better cooling system.

There is NO way his load temps are that low unless he's got a rad outside the window. 38C 4G load temps? What is he using to load? A game?

65C under load is normal I'd say, I'd drop the clock back a bit or voltage a bit for 24/7, but the they guy is lying or you don't know the full story. Ahh the internet.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Could be, I have seen some higher temps with higher VIDs being posted and ambient vs. load temps are a big deal. Also, I think I posted on another one of your posts that you look to have some pretty good kinks on your res fittings, but you mentioned that. You might be killing your flow more than you think.

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

front rad(dangerden) 2 pushing the air from front of the case 2 behind pullin that air into the case, in total 4 noctua nf-p12
back rad only 2 more case fans outside the casewall pulling hot air from inside the case trhou the rad then outside the case.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I have a Q6600 on WC and uhm... Even at stock the difference between idle and full load is more than 8C however that is because I use Prime95 small FFT. "Full load" temps taking while using a program like 3DMark are much cooler as they are not pushing the whole chip as much as just parts of it.

PS those kinks in your piping harm performance. Just trust me on this :)

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
not to point this out but you need to sort out the kinks in ure tubeing that will easilly increase flow which i suspect is causeing ure high temps, just for a test take ure rad mouting off and keep tubeing on and hold it such that there are no kinks then prime it to see if it helps

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I forgot to ask, what fans are you running? High CFM on the front rad? That rad needs high CFM because it's very high fin density, hard to push air through them.

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
4 Noctua nf-p12 on the front dangerden rad which runs at 1300 rpm and 92,3 m³/h which is i guess something like 55cfm and produces 19.8dBA at these speeds."Noctua claims the NF-P12 has been specifically designed for high-impedance applications such as processor coolers and watercooling rigs" reffrenced from

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I was also thinking, my case is this behemoth CM Stacker ATX / BTX , as you already now I have 2 120x2mm rads, maybe if I chop the top part of my case and place to rads on top, do you think it would help since both rads will be sucking air from top of the case. among with 4 more noctua fans installed on my old rad., I beleive both rads can fit, there is a single solution for this kind of rad setup however it costs more than 150 bucks in which is Feser X-Changer Quad 120mm Xtreme

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
it is not a new setup, i have this cpu ever since it was released, next step is i7 I know, but no need to upgrade yet... but when I get i7 then i will be having heat problems at 5.5 ghz so I will be still posting.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Did a little more research on your front rad and fans. Your front rad is an old design and needs MUCH higher CFM than what your running. Let me toss ya some links of fan reviews and rad reviews. Had to find old posts about your BI rad, Mebbe you'll find something better. Also, that back rad is just, okay, no more than that for sure. Get some faster fans on that front rad, 100CFM, bet it helps.

Fans
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137832
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193126

Rads:
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.effizienzgurus.de%2Fmain%2Findex.php%3Fcontent%3Darticle%26action%3Dview_spec_article%26article_id%3D222&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 I
Read about high FPI fans and the CFM needed for them.

Fix those hose kinks. After reading about the terrible flow rate on the front rad, you could have flow rate issues.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I'm getting ready to move to an i7 965 D0 stepping (engineering sample), not even close to availible yet in retail. I'll have to put my PA 120.3 on the CPU all by itself. And I'll put a seperate rad and pump on my GPU. So beware on the i7, it's a HOT one.

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
well i am super broke nowadays due to global credit crunch crisis, we really feel it in Turkey, at least industrial companies like us ( I run a bronze foundry), so I cannot afford a new cpu-mm-and rams yet but in the end we now what happens. They are great chips, but super expensive yet...

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Are four of these overkill for my front dangerden rads, I have fan controller so dBA may not be an issue, only while stress testing i can put them on full speed.

Delta 120 x 38mm Super Extreme High-Speed Fan

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Maybe a bit of overkill (GRIN). The ones you chose will probably burn out just about any fan controller, at 2.45 amps per fan. You'd need a really good controller.

Look at the fan links I gave you, pick from the HS tests and then look at prices. Try 100CFM quality, you can get fans for just one side for now.

Places to buy:
http://www.petrastechshop.com/
http://www.jab-tech.com/
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Thats it I m done with my watercooling setup, I spent my last dimes on it and no more need equipment will be bought on water cooling....

Here are my last additions yet they are not installed neither received although shipped from frozencpu...

Scythe Ultra Kaze 120 x 38mm Fan - 3000 RPM (DFS123812H-3000) 4 of these
PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - 1/2 OD" Tubing - Clear for kinks
120mm Rubber Fan Silencer 6 of them
Black mini-CoolShroud 120mm 4items

Now I bet I am gonna get decent temps by making a air-tight rad setup with shrouds and 4 3000 Rpm ultra kazes, I hear these fans (especially four of them on 3000 rpm will create a Aerodynamic Wind Tunnel Test environment in my pc but I can reduce their speed with my kaza meter, but we will see.

But like I said no more monnnney on watercooling. Lol It is a disease and I got it badly....

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
got the gear, was stuck at customs, had to pay tax :( gonna install soon but those fans m8 they can travel on flat surface on full power

The Taz

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hi, i have just finshed lapping my q6600 & heat sink, and very satisfied with the result after putting it all together again with arctic silver thermal paste, and several hours of cpu burn in, checked the temperatures with realtemp, coretemp, occt and speedfan and found that the temperatures had dropped by 4c at idle and 10c at full load

My setup

CPU----------------Intel core2 quad Q6600 @2.4GHz overclock to 3.6GHz
Motherboard-----P5Q
Ram----------------Corsair XMS2 Dominator 2GB
Case---------------Thermaltake Armor LCS VE2000BWS
PSU-----------------Jeantech Storm 700W Sli/Cross-fire
GPU-----------------Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT

Temp Before lapping idle 37c,34c,33c,32c
Temp Before lapping, running intelburn test 82c,82c,79c,79c

intelburn test setting

Turn on error detection (y/n) Y
Stress levels 1
Enter number of time to run the test 6
PC passed this test several times

Temperature on start up this morning at 07.45 were 30c,25c,25c,25c, after leaving the pc idle for about an hour temperatures were 33c,30c.30c,30c

Idle temp after lapping are 33c,30c,30c,30c
Idle temp after runing the above test again were 72c,72c,68c,68c

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Scythe Ultra Kaze 120 x 38mm Fan - 3000 RPM (DFS123812H-3000) 4 of these with 2 in front rad push and 2 at the back of the case pull, now on load at 3.6 ghz i have 50ish load temps and 32 idle temps... I am happy, but the glowy fluid does not glow anymore....