Sign in with
Your question

Best Bang For Buck - Gaming Monitor?

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2008 5:08:03 PM

what's the best bang for buck gaming monitor?
May 18, 2008 5:17:32 PM

a 19 inch crt
May 18, 2008 5:17:56 PM

oka it has to be flat screen...im not going back to crt...
Related resources
May 18, 2008 5:20:23 PM

That would be 'flat panel'. Flat screen is a CRT technology. :p 
May 18, 2008 5:21:29 PM

>.< i meant that "flat panel"
May 18, 2008 5:32:45 PM

yeah, i have problem with monitors as well. to this day i use 17inch crt.

always wanted to get an LCD, but my limited money wont let me even get an 19in lcd. :( 
May 18, 2008 5:49:28 PM

night_wolf_in said:
yeah, i have problem with monitors as well. to this day i use 17inch crt.

always wanted to get an LCD, but my limited money wont let me even get an 19in lcd. :( 

Its a crime to have that rig you have hooked up to a 17' crt. I have only recently upgraded myself...from a 17' crt to a 20' samsung lcd and the difference is amazing. The larger size, higher ress and vibrant colours will really hit you and make you wonder how you ever lived without it.

As for which one to get ...well that depends upon your wallet. I got my Samsung 2032 for £150....im sure it will be cheaper if you live in the US. Go for one that has 1000:1 contrast ratio a low response time (< 5ms) and has large as you can afford or fit on desk. So long as you buy a decent one you wont be disapointed, they are worth the money.
May 18, 2008 5:49:55 PM

Just ordered a samsung 2253lw from buy.com for $229 after rebate. Has the same specs as the 2253BW, but 21.6" instead of 22". Good stats and reviews, and nice finish. I'll report on how it games after I receive it.
May 18, 2008 6:03:52 PM

this is the one i have...

its a Hanns G 19inch LCD its roughly around 164-179 on newegg. look around.

here's a few links

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

minor differences in those models, your personal choice.

in my use, i love it. the picture for games, movies is crystal clear.

the refresh rate is 60hertz and for the 19''. the max resolution is 1440x900.

May 18, 2008 6:10:15 PM

Its hard to go wrong with a Samsung LCD.I purchased a Gateway FHD 24 inch about a month ago($430)and up until I got it,Ive always used Samsung LCD's.I would have stuck with Samsung,but I wanted the glossy screen instead of the standard "matte"finish screen on the majority of LCD's.
May 18, 2008 6:11:27 PM

Samsung 2253BW ...looks so pretty...tempting....
May 18, 2008 6:19:17 PM

Go for it,you wont regret it...
May 18, 2008 6:36:35 PM

The very best LCDs are of course NEC....the advantage is that they offer the same picture viewing quality at different angles....

They cost a grand :p 

Best bang for buck for heavy duty vid and photo editors anyways............ Robert Zemeckis used the same LCDs for mocap in Beowulf...lol.
May 18, 2008 6:37:35 PM

kellytm3 said:
Its hard to go wrong with a Samsung LCD.I purchased a Gateway FHD 24 inch about a month ago($430)and up until I got it,Ive always used Samsung LCD's.I would have stuck with Samsung,but I wanted the glossy screen instead of the standard "matte"finish screen on the majority of LCD's.

Where'd you get it for $430? I'm thinking about getting that in about a month or two. It looks like an amazing monitor. How do you like it?

Anyway, it's like $480 at both newegg and best buy.

Did you just find it on sale or something?
May 18, 2008 6:57:53 PM

lameness said:
Its a crime to have that rig you have hooked up to a 17' crt. I have only recently upgraded myself...from a 17' crt to a 20' samsung lcd and the difference is amazing. The larger size, higher ress and vibrant colours will really hit you and make you wonder how you ever lived without it.

As for which one to get ...well that depends upon your wallet. I got my Samsung 2032 for £150....im sure it will be cheaper if you live in the US. Go for one that has 1000:1 contrast ratio a low response time (< 5ms) and has large as you can afford or fit on desk. So long as you buy a decent one you wont be disapointed, they are worth the money.

:( :( 

i might do it. i use my pc for work+gaming. both equally important. work simulation, and gaming the usual stuff. anywhooooo. i might get LCD. ive being wanting to get one for the last 3-4 months. no im not in USA. im in malaysia. n im BROKE as hell..

it means people. DONATE FOR ME. LOL
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
May 18, 2008 7:53:19 PM

yadge said:
Where'd you get it for $430? I'm thinking about getting that in about a month or two. It looks like an amazing monitor. How do you like it?

Did you just find it on sale or something?
Or something! [:wr2:5] See this forum thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250880-31-monitor

May 22, 2008 2:41:53 AM

k, recieved the 2253LW today and have been running everything under the sun to test it out. So far, everything is nice. No complaints yet to speak of with the monitor performance. Had to manually adjust the settings though because the software the monitor came with wouldn't run on my system. Vista and 8800gt compatability issues. I doubt the programs were any good anyway. The physical controls on the monitor are terribly hard to see and deal with, ...but it's not enough to detract from the display. Super bright, very accurate color. Been playing crysis @ 1680x1050, no ghosting or tearing. I can't vouche that the 2ms rating is accurate, but it's better than any LCD I've used so far. DVD playback was great (played some of the fifth element), but I can't vouch for HD as I don't have a player.

Also the monitor is very nice looking(if that matters to you), and has a decent base. Picked it up for $229 after rebate and coupon @buy.com. Was going to get the 2253BW, but I didn't think i'd miss .4" of monitor for ~$40 more.
!