Win Vista Installer Stops during start up

jromero777

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
OK Client brought me a laptop that they tried to use recovery console on after it started BSOD.
now it freezes at the loading screen
I loaded the bart PE disk ran a couple diagnostics and HDD and Memory check out fine, File system seems in tact

I pulled the drive and backed up all of his data and found a stick of memory had come loose inthe laptop and was floating around in there, reseated it and put the drive back, same error.

it doesnt BSOD it just freezes

i tried to run The vista home premium DVD and it freezes at the same time in the start up

Its a Toshiba Satelite A205- S4577

system restore and recovery console all freeze about the same point

IMO, something got shorted on the MOBO, if that memory stick was "floating around", as you put it.

jromero777

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Well it ran fine for almost 6 hours running tests with the bart PE disk but anytime i try to do anything with windows it frezes up. Even a fresh install not trying to repair the previous install.

i told him it might be toast from his description, i was just hoping we could resurect it

yeah when he handed it to me i heard something move inside and asked him about it and he told me it might be a loose screw or something, when i opened it up to get the drive out it was sitting in the HDD section

When you tried the DVD, you did change boot sequence to DVD 1st in the sequence, I assume. If not, it is still booting from HDD.

jromero777

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Yup DVD first then Hdd haven't tried anything today yet but the thing runs fine from a live CD and i have run diagnostics on the the HDD and a Virus scan on the drive and malwarebytes and nothing yet.

i am not sure why even a fresh install would be freezing though