Sign in with
Your question

Card is getting searing hot.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2008 3:39:03 PM

I recently started playing Mass Effect and this game is really making my card sweat!

I own an Asus Geforce 8800GT 512MB. I believe that the current series of this card have a larger fan then the first series. Well I got one from the first series, so it's the smaller fan.
Anyways, my case is pretty big and well ventilated (it's a Gigabyte 570S Aurora) and it has a mesh side fitting so lots of air holes and I clean it regularly.
My card idles at 62C and reaches 91C on load (with the fan at 100% mind you!). My room temperature is at about 26C in average. Is that normal temperature levels considering all of what I mentioned? And if so, are there any tips to keep my card cooler (besides buying an alternative cooling system)?

Also I read around, and I understood that 91C is a temp that this card can handle, but can it honestly handle this level of heat during like an hour and half of gameplay?? I'm finding it hard to believe...

Thanks in advance!

More about : card searing hot

June 4, 2008 3:54:09 PM

I cant help you too much but i have an asus 3870 and it idles at 36C and at load it is around 57C. My problem is that this card has trouble at 1920X1200 so I need 2 for crossfire. but for an idle at 62C I think that is really hot. Thats hotter than my Phemon 9600 at max load. You might what to check that.
June 4, 2008 4:00:16 PM

I have an 8800GT OCed by XFX and really you should not have to worry about it i have a newer one and mine is Idle right now at 61C GPU's Run hot i once had my 7950GT from XFX up to 106C with no trouble at all ( that was running Lost Planet on Pc)

Hope this helps
Related resources
June 4, 2008 4:00:46 PM

even if you have good ventilation make sure there are no cards next to it obstructing incoming cool air or that there is not a dead air spot over the card. The temps are pretty high. I have 8800GTX's that idle 54C and Max load 69C with 100% fan. It just sounds like you have some kind of air obstruction. I have also heard of cases where the heatsink is not making good contact with the GPU causing this.
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2008 4:15:42 PM

Make sure it's clean. The fact that they changed the cooling design means they were aware of the heat problems. The 8800GT runs pretty hot and seeing how many manufacturers have added aftermarket cooling solutions to their cards just points this out.
June 4, 2008 4:24:53 PM

If I was you, I would pick up a good aftermarket GPU cooler.
June 4, 2008 4:33:03 PM

Get with the cards maker and voice your concerns, find out if they are willing to do anything to help.
June 4, 2008 4:33:44 PM

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that there isn't any serious air obstruction. But I may be wrong so here is a picture of an empty case of the same model as mine: http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200611/gbt3Daurora570_sideopn.jpg
The two white things on the left are fans and there's also an intake fan in the bottom right (It's a bit hard to see but its there).
Now, picture the motherboard screwed vertically to the case plate and the video card attached to the highest case slot (Just below the lower case fan) with its fan pointing downwards. There isn't any other card attached to the board.
And I keep my case pretty clean. I clean it every other week.
June 4, 2008 4:38:22 PM

Check your graphics card clocks and if they are above the recommended clocks for the model then you might need to underclock it to stock levels.

I'm running 2 8800 GT SLI EVGA cards and at stock clocks I didn't go above 77 degrees on the warmest of the 2 gpus through my entire playthrough of mass effect.

edit: I use antec 900 case with stock fans at low, and stock single slot coolers on the video cards.
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2008 4:42:19 PM

Werent these cards fan speeds too low? Wasnt it recommended to crank up the fan speeds?
June 4, 2008 4:46:29 PM

I'm running mine at default in evga precision and its really a non issue in pretty much anything i've played.

It rarely goes over 75 degrees, which when it comes to graphics cards is really not that unreasonable.

I've run the fan as high as 45% without being annoyed by the noise, but I find anymore than 45% is loud on my evga model.

added: I really think that 90 degrees is unreasonable and hints to some sort of underlying problem other than fan speed, but I have never used the Asus model so i'm ignorant in that regard!
June 4, 2008 5:04:44 PM

Whats your case?

Cheepo style would be to take out all the pci blanker plates and stick a 120mm fan there sucking air in, then take the shroud off the top of the heatsink on the graphics and place another 12cm fan on top of it.

Try get the 120mm flowrate a tiny bit higher than the gtx so you have positive pressure in the compartment and you should see temps drop a bit.

Also have a look in the heatsink to make sure nothin is clogging up the air flow!

Also use Rivatuner to setup custom fan profiles. I Dropped my 8800GT temps by about 10 degrees load temp doing this. Problem is that stock fan is awful whiney
June 4, 2008 5:08:00 PM

he has a link for his case just up above, looks like you could do that modding and add the fan there like you suggested if so desired.

Still seems like there has to be some sort of other problem; I can't understand why this card would run up to 90 degrees on stock settings, if it is on stock settings.
June 4, 2008 5:21:09 PM

Like dos1986 suggested, you may wish to remove the brackets from the back of your case, this will help your lower intake fan push some of the air out of the case.

there is 2 models on the webpage you showed me, are you using the top or bottom one pictured at the bottom of the page?

The bottom card is going to push air into your case, but generally if you have good air exhaust than its a non issue; maybe the issue is air exhaust?

Try the deal with the removing the rear brackets and see what happens, you should get your temps down a little with that.

http://usa.asus.com/products_compare_show.aspx?array_mo... here is a product comparison for a stock 8800 GT and your overclocked model

The OC edition is a 100 mhz (700 total) overclock; on a stock cooler this is going to be crazy hot. If you are using the non stock cooler (the one without the company of heroes logo) than its going to be inherently better cooling; but again only if you have good air flow. I think that might be your problem is your airflow.
June 4, 2008 5:22:01 PM

i would talk to asus technical support, maybe you can get a replacement card, as my doesn't idle at 62 C and thats with the fan on 40%.
June 4, 2008 5:23:32 PM

If you can't get it below comfortable levels than you might want to underclock it with rivatuner to 650 mhz/1620 shader/950 memory and see how that runs.

Try to shooter for 85 degrees with your rear brackets removed on their clocks and if you can't get it below that then you might want to try underclocking if for nothing other than card lifespan sake
June 4, 2008 5:23:34 PM

Hello actually i have an 8800gtx and my temps idle are 67 aprox and loading 82 max 85 without problem.

my case is the nzxt lexa blackline but i live in vzla so my room temp are high like 30 sometimes more.

off course this is if i have my A/C off if i turns on my Air conditioing, idle at 55 and max loading 70 aprox

its overcloked to core610/Shader1550/mem920.

my cpu its overcloked to 3,2ghz it a 6750 paired with a ultra 120 extreme and the temp are betwen 32 and 35 idle and loading 49-55 aprox with orthos, prime, and tat. are those temps ok also what temp should memories have i have crucial ballistix tracer and sometimes they reah 63.

June 4, 2008 5:36:31 PM

ovaltineplease - Mine is the one with the company of heroes logo.
About removing the brackets, I don't know, I'm not sure how I feel about having a large hole like that in my case. It's a pretty big dust and bugs portal.
About underclocking, it seems to me that when a company is designing a card and overclock it they should take into account the extra heating that it will sustain, won't they? It doesn't seem normal to me to have a factory overclocked card that is suffering overheating issues without me overclocking it further myself. I think I'll take Shadowthor's advice and see what Asus have to say about it.
June 4, 2008 5:38:13 PM

Eh, seems fine really?

I put my e8400 3.6ghz OC through a prime 95 for the last 12 hours and it didn't go above 56 degrees on the warmest core according to realtemp
June 4, 2008 5:42:45 PM

toastman1 said:
ovaltineplease - Mine is the one with the company of heroes logo.
About removing the brackets, I don't know, I'm not sure how I feel about having a large hole like that in my case. It's a pretty big dust and bugs portal.
About underclocking, it seems to me that when a company is designing a card and overclock it they should take into account the extra heating that it will sustain, won't they? It doesn't seem normal to me to have a factory overclocked card that is suffering overheating issues without me overclocking it further myself. I think I'll take Shadowthor's advice and see what Asus have to say about it.

Its probably a good idea; but basically what happens with a lot of these manufacturers is they will take their best chip samples and make those into overclocked editions.

The lesser chip samples will go into stock clock editions.

I think its good for you to ask Asus about their technical opinion on that model because I do believe that 90 degrees is too hot. However dos1986's suggestion of removing the rear brackets and installing an exhaust fan on the brackets with twist ties should definitely help you reduce that temperature a lot.

Anyways, good luck; I hope you can get it sorted out.
June 4, 2008 5:56:54 PM

Your case has plenty of room..

Dont know how big the side vent is, but i'd say you could fit a 14cm fan on it no problem, if you out get a good 14cm fan and get the 14cm fan a tiny bit higher than the gt, you will have positive pressure in the compartment and you should see temps drop a good bit.

Good quiet fan

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2008 6:08:09 PM

I have the same Aurora case you do, just the black version. Trust me, those stock fans are horrible and move very little air. Get some higher CFM fans to put in (front and rear) and make sure you move the toolbox out of the hard drive cage (if you haven't already).

All that aside, I think your cooler is not seated correctly or the fan is bad. Card companies always put that super thick thermal 'putty' on their cards and I personally think the stuff has an inverse effect on cooling. I would ask for a new card, I wouldn't want one that has been running at 90C to be sitting in my case, but I know they are supposed to be fine at those temps. Still... 90C...think about it...that's 194 F.
June 4, 2008 6:25:54 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I have the same Aurora case you do, just the black version. Trust me, those stock fans are horrible and move very little air. Get some higher CFM fans to put in (front and rear) and make sure you move the toolbox out of the hard drive cage (if you haven't already).

All that aside, I think your cooler is not seated correctly or the fan is bad. Card companies always put that super thick thermal 'putty' on their cards and I personally think the stuff has an inverse effect on cooling. I would ask for a new card, I wouldn't want one that has been running at 90C to be sitting in my case, but I know they are supposed to be fine at those temps. Still... 90C...think about it...that's 194 F.

yea, if nothing else you could probably make some nice steaks on it.
June 4, 2008 6:42:52 PM

mine idles at 61 degrees c. i have a xfx 8800gt stock clock. i run the fan on auto, it runs at 30% idle 2d. it hits 91c running crysis in which the fan run at 40%. i redid the wiring in my case, moved the hard drives away from the intake and its never hit more than 80c now. make sure u have good intake and good outtake fans. i use 2 92mm antec tricool fans set to low. 1 120mm antec tricool set to low as well. i would try really making sure u have optimized airflow, work on ur cable management so no cable block the airflow to ur graphics card. if that doesnt help, i would try replacing the TIM on ur card, try Arctic Silver 5 or something, it may help. i dont know if its compatible with GPU's ask around first.

edit: my 8800gt idles at 58C with the new wiring now, fans run on auto or 30% in 2d.
June 4, 2008 6:43:46 PM

90 degrees is fine, its just not good for ur card to run that hot constantly.
!