Got a couple 3870HD questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2008 8:03:12 PM

I have a 2006 compy. not the greatest. stats as follows
2.0ghz proc amd 3400+
nvidia 7600gt 256mb
3gb ram
350w PSU

i see the VisionTek - ATI RADEON HD3870 OC 512MB GDDR4 PCI Express Graphics Card at best buy for 130 dollars. wow thats a steal (at least for me lol). Sooo im gonna go buy one. It will give me a good boost until December for the new build. heres my problem... I dont think my PSU can handle the card!

I found something at Best buy i was thinkin about getting...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8762216&s...

Im lookin for a quick fix to hold me over til I save up for a new build. Also, I have never messed with a 5.25 bay PSU like this, but it looks like it would boost me enough to get me by. What do you guys think? I am not lookin to spend alot of money on a PSU, just wanna get by playin the few games I do :)  Thanks
June 4, 2008 8:17:32 PM

I hope someone answers me before I go buy it :p  at least best buy has a good return policy
Related resources
June 4, 2008 8:39:44 PM

Thats a nice one too, but i was lookin to get the vid card and PSU at the same place, more convenient for a similiar price. Do you think the 2 of those would be fine on my PC above?

Will the video card be bottlenecked alot with my current setup as well?

I also couldnt find any reviews on the visiontek PSU so it has me kind of worried.
June 4, 2008 8:55:19 PM

I wouldn't trust that PSU at all.
June 4, 2008 9:02:48 PM

Thanks for the explanation behind your answer :\
June 5, 2008 7:58:36 PM

To answer your bottleneck question, yes. That set up will hold you back from seeing the full potential of that card.
My question to you is, instead of buying a 5.25 bay psu, why don't you buy a powerful convnetional psu for your new build and use it now?
!