Please help me with something that's been bothering me for 3 years

KatanaBob

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005
Ok, I'll be brief.

I have a XFX 7800 GS AGP Extreme Edition. If I use regular or forceware drivers, my screen loses its signal after an hour+- of gaming. Pretty annoying. I have to use the special NGO custom drivers with compatibility mode to prevent this from happening.

NGO don't seem to make modified versions of the new drivers coming out for windows xp, only vista. So as new drivers are released, I'm falling further and further behind, which affects the framerate of course.

Any way to fix this issue permanently so I can use regular drivers like everyone else? Anyone else had this problem with the 7800 GS? I remember when loads of people complained about the card on the XFX forum, XFX simply answered by shutting down the forum. :fou:

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
Don't really know, but I would tweak everything around, unless someone comes with a real fix of course.

I would try:
Reinstall AGP drivers GART
Activate/Deactivate AGP fastwrites and other, in bios or whatever.
Check the VGA bios. Probably burn another one in there.
Check omegadrivers, don't know if there are nvidia versions but I own an ati and omegadrivers comes with more features.

We need more info:
What does the PC does when the screen goes blank? it restarts? it shutsdown or it crashes/freezes?

Whats your complete specs?

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

KatanaBob

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005
Well, installing the 175.16 seems to have done the trick! :D

I wonder what's different this time. Either they have improved the drivers so that they no longer cause errors, or my card can't handle forceware drivers. I always tested the forceware drivers, because I wanted to overclock a bit in nvidia control panel, but never the official drivers. But it seems the official ones do not cause a signal loss. Oh man... should've figured, or at least have tested it, haha! :D

Played Mass Effect for hours with no signal loss, and it's a pretty demanding game, so if the signal loss could have been provoked, it would have happened in Mass Effect. But it didn't. :)

Thank you all! And yes, I will probably upgrade soon, maybe even get a totally new rig. Thanks again. :hello:

TRENDING THREADS