92mm cooler recommendations?

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Anyone have any great experiences or recommendations for 92mm coolers? By 92mm I'm referring to the attached fan size, not sure if they're actually called that (ie TR 90-Ultima, OCZ Vendetta). The "best of" listings really don't answer this question.

I've got a i7 I'm going to be overclocking to something like 3.4-3.5, so I don't really need the most extreme solutions and I like not taking up so much room. It must either come with no fan or easily replaceable one too.

If I can't find a firm answer I'll just go with a TRUE and suffer through the size.. :heink:

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Yeah, I was looking at Xigmatek at one point but got distracted on their homepage by Thor's Hammer and their other flashy big ones, thanks for reminding me, I'll compare this model vs the TRUE if I decide on the bigger size as it got some good reviews. (Probably still toss the fan on the Xigma though for a Nexus, Scythe, or something ultra quiet).

Know anything about their slightly smaller versions like Xigmatek XP S964 or HDT SD964 by chance?

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Yeah, Nexus fans are made by Yate Loon.

Okay, I understand the big heatsinks. Let me get more specific and hope anyone actually responds. Between Xigmatek HDT-SD964, TR Ultima-90, and Nexus XiR-2300, which one would work best?

All are recommended by different sites and no where can I find a comparison of all.

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
It's because 92mm fan heatsinks aren't quite as massive, though I can fit the full size in my case I don't necessarily want that size unless there is nothing good smaller. I'm on the boarder of just getting the HDT S1283 as I can't find enough info (some places say the smaller ones are good, others say they don't do much better than stock). I do like the brand Noctua as DatmanII said quiet and high quality.

Xigmatek doesn't end up cheaper as you have to buy the good mounting bracket for 1366 (and a quieter fan, like I want). So they end up about the same price, I'm just worried about best performance though so it doesn't matter.

Do small crevasses on the surface of Xigmateks affect things? Using Arctic Silver 5.

If I am not mistaken, the dark night S1283V comes with a backplate mount for socket 1366:
The supplied fan is a 1000-2200 rpm pwm fan. If you limit the fan speed to 1000rpm, it should be very quiet.
Try it first, it would be easy to change it out if you wanted even quieter.
The purpose of any tim is to fill small inperfections. The review results are good, accounting whatever the effects of the heat pipe joint. I would not worry on that score.