OTA antenna advice

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 23, 2005 11:39:13 AM

Hi folks,

I am about to invest in my first HDTV with built-in HD receiver and an
OTA antenna and would appreciate some feedback on the latter. According
to antennaweb.org, my house is about 8.5 miles from all of the UHF
stations I'd like to get (Boston area) and recommends a "medium
directional" uhf antenna. My house is on a hill and the TV room is
oriented such that the tv set would practically be pointed out the
window toward the ideal direction that antennaweb recommends to receive
all of the stations. For aesthetic and housemate reasons, I'd strongly
prefer an indoor antenna placed close to the tv set. There's only one
problem: my house is surrounded by trees. But beyond a row or two of
trees, there are no tall buildings or other obstructions for many
miles. I could mount an outdoor antenna, maybe 20 feet higher up than
the TV room, but that would not clear the trees either.

So my questions:

1. Is it worth trying an indoor antenna with this setup? If so, any
specific models to recommend that have worked well for people?

2. Would I likely see a big difference in terms of reception and/or
picture quality with an external antenna, given my setup? If so, same
question applies for specific models.

I don't mind trying and returning something if it doesn't work well,
but I don't want to go crazy with trips to the store. Also, I realize
that it's hard to predict precisely what will happen with any
particular antenna or location. I'm just looking for general advice and
recommendations based on folks' experiences. Thanks!

Mike M.

More about : ota antenna advice

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:59:42 AM

I'm in the Detroit area and just upgraded to DirecTV HD. They
installed the Winegard OTA antenna on the roof up with the dish and it
is awful. I am lucky to get in one or two channels and that is hit or
miss.

I picked up a Phillips OTA indoor antenna at Wal-Mat for $20 that works
better than the roof one, but is still suspect (and I am within 13
miles of the towers). I am borrowing a friend's Zenith Silver Sensor
indoor antenna and will give it a shot tonight. Its been a maddening
process for sure.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:11:10 PM

<darrenproctor@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the Detroit area and just upgraded to DirecTV HD. They
> installed the Winegard OTA antenna on the roof up with the dish and it
> is awful. I am lucky to get in one or two channels and that is hit or
> miss.

There is something drastically wrong here. I used to get a perfect picture
on all Detroit channels, including UHF, when I lived in Toledo. Call Direct
TV back, and have them send a different tech. Probably the antenna isn't
oriented right, or the F connector is not crimped. You want to keep the
rooftop antenna.

Tam

> I picked up a Phillips OTA indoor antenna at Wal-Mat for $20 that works
> better than the roof one, but is still suspect (and I am within 13
> miles of the towers). I am borrowing a friend's Zenith Silver Sensor
> indoor antenna and will give it a shot tonight. Its been a maddening
> process for sure.

August 23, 2005 7:34:37 PM

mikemass@hotmail.com wrote (in part):

>Hi folks,
>
>I am about to invest in my first HDTV with built-in HD receiver and an
>OTA antenna and would appreciate some feedback on the latter. According
>to antennaweb.org, my house is about 8.5 miles from all of the UHF
>stations I'd like to get (Boston area) and recommends a "medium
>directional" uhf antenna. My house is on a hill and the TV room is
>oriented such that the tv set would practically be pointed out the
>window toward the ideal direction that antennaweb recommends to receive
>all of the stations. For aesthetic and housemate reasons, I'd strongly
>prefer an indoor antenna placed close to the tv set. There's only one
>problem: my house is surrounded by trees. But beyond a row or two of
>trees, there are no tall buildings or other obstructions for many
>miles. I could mount an outdoor antenna, maybe 20 feet higher up than
>the TV room, but that would not clear the trees either.
>
>So my questions:
>
>1. Is it worth trying an indoor antenna with this setup? If so, any
>specific models to recommend that have worked well for people?

I think you're in good shape for an indoor antenna. If there are
analog stations at the same location and on roughly similar
frequencies and if you can pull them in reasonably well you should be
OK. The Zenith Silver Sensor has been recommended by many here and in
similar groups. I have one and it does well for my locals (about 8.5
miles) except that my aluminum siding causes trouble. I actually use
a 4-bay bowtie in the attic, and there I had to remove a couple of
batts of foil-faced insulation to get a low-power station. If you're
looking through a window (or don't have a lot of metal on or in the
the walls) that shouldn't cause a problem. You might have to replace
metal screens with plastic. A thin row of trees shouldn't affect the
signal much either.

Sears wants $40 for the Zenith, but it's under $25 at Amazon. Terk
makes a similar-looking one, but everything I've read about Terk says
to avoid them. I have no personal experience with them.

>2. Would I likely see a big difference in terms of reception and/or
>picture quality with an external antenna, given my setup? If so, same
>question applies for specific models.

Maybe a bit more reliability when the wind blow the trees around. And
indoor reception can be affected by people walking around near the
antenna.

Del Mibbler
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:03:12 PM

Tam...They ran RG6's from the dish itself and 1 for the over the air
antenna into an adaptor/feedline in the basement. From there it runs
to my receiver/TIVO unit (2 RG6's) and then one upstairs to the HD
receiver where it feeds into a splitter that goes one way into the
satellite jack and one into the OTA antenna. I may have to try to run
a separate line for the OTA then?
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:44:25 PM

I presenty live 26 miles from the New York City TV transmitters. Rabbit
ears will work, but rooftop antenna was better. (On cable now). Biggest
problem with indoor antenna was flutter every time an airplane flew over, or
changes in the picture as people walked around near the TV. UHF was very
poor with indoor antenna.

Did they combine everything to one feedline coming into the house, or are
there more than one coax feeds? If all else fails, ignore everything they
did, and run a new, separate RG6 cable from the antenna to the TV. Do not
get a booster, at 13 miles, that will just overload.

Tam
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 5:36:11 PM

"proc" <darrenproctor@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Tam...They ran RG6's from the dish itself and 1 for the over the air
> antenna into an adaptor/feedline in the basement. From there it runs
> to my receiver/TIVO unit (2 RG6's) and then one upstairs to the HD
> receiver where it feeds into a splitter that goes one way into the
> satellite jack and one into the OTA antenna. I may have to try to run
> a separate line for the OTA then?

I would try it. Before spending a lot of effort, just drop the wire down,
and pass it through an open window directly to the TV to see if it fixes the
problem. Bypass all splitters, combiners, and the like. If it won't work,
there is something wrong, like a short in the antenna. I presume there is no
300 Ohm twin lead involved.

Tam
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:08:01 PM

"Dave Oldridge" <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in message
> "proc" <darrenproctor@gmail.com> wrote in news:1125176883.754130.90120
> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> More likely the feedline is not properly connected to
> the antenna, is faulty or is not properly connected at the receiver.
> MOST antenna problems with outdoor antennas are feedline problems, as
> there are only so many ways to actually design antennas. Long runs of
> cheap feedline are among the worst offenders. I don't know how many
> times new ham radio operators have assured me that their 90 foot run of
> RG58 was well connected to the antenna and showed an SWR of 1.1 to 1.
> Usually I tell them to measure it with the antenna disconnected. The
> result is humorous. Often it's almost as good! The coax is absorbing
> the energy and none of the energy reflected from the open termination is
> actually making it back to the meter!
> As I said, there is probably something wrong with this installation, but
> without actually looking at it, I couldn't say what. For long coax runs,
> I try to use a GOOD preamp at the antenna end (For ham radio work it pays
> to put both a transmitting and receiving amp out there if you can
> weatherproof them).

Amen ! but nobody endorses here RG/11 useage ?
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 8:37:20 PM

"Brass Hopper" <bore_ring@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> "Dave Oldridge" <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in message
>> "proc" <darrenproctor@gmail.com> wrote in
>> news:1125176883.754130.90120 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> More likely the feedline is not properly connected to
>> the antenna, is faulty or is not properly connected at the receiver.
>> MOST antenna problems with outdoor antennas are feedline problems, as
>> there are only so many ways to actually design antennas. Long runs
>> of cheap feedline are among the worst offenders. I don't know how
>> many times new ham radio operators have assured me that their 90 foot
>> run of RG58 was well connected to the antenna and showed an SWR of
>> 1.1 to 1. Usually I tell them to measure it with the antenna
>> disconnected. The result is humorous. Often it's almost as good!
>> The coax is absorbing the energy and none of the energy reflected
>> from the open termination is actually making it back to the meter!
>> As I said, there is probably something wrong with this installation,
>> but without actually looking at it, I couldn't say what. For long
>> coax runs, I try to use a GOOD preamp at the antenna end (For ham
>> radio work it pays to put both a transmitting and receiving amp out
>> there if you can weatherproof them).
>
> Amen ! but nobody endorses here RG/11 useage ?

I do, but it's a lot more expensive than RG6 and still lossier than
twinlead. At some point it becomes more cost effective to use good
quality twinlead, dress it correctly and put the balun at the receiver
end of the pipe. And a good preamp can drive an RG6 run just fine. If
the run is too long for one preamp, then stick another in the middle, but
that should only be necessary for very long runs in high rise buildings.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Well, the Zenith Silver Sensor arrived via Amazon yesterday.
Non-amplified. Just plug the coax into the back of the DirecTV HD-10
receiver's over-the-air antenna jack and away I went. With some slight
moving around, I was able to get my Detroit locals (2, 4, 7, 20, 50, 56
and 62) in around 69-79%. While its a pain to have to move it around,
at least I am getting HD content. I am sold. Decent purchase for
$19.99.

I don't feel like spending money on 50ft. of coax to run from the
Winegard roof antenna now directly to the receiver (bypassing the
splitter/connection on the roof and the one in the basement), but I may
just out of curiosity.

Like Tam said, the Winegard is a glorified RV antenna. In my case its
worthless, which is a shame being under 14 miles from all the signals.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 4:55:25 PM

On 30 Aug 2005 06:59:18 -0700, "proc" <darrenproctor@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, the Zenith Silver Sensor arrived via Amazon yesterday.
>Non-amplified. Just plug the coax into the back of the DirecTV HD-10
>receiver's over-the-air antenna jack and away I went. With some slight
>moving around, I was able to get my Detroit locals (2, 4, 7, 20, 50, 56
>and 62) in around 69-79%. While its a pain to have to move it around,
>at least I am getting HD content. I am sold. Decent purchase for
>$19.99.
>
>I don't feel like spending money on 50ft. of coax to run from the
>Winegard roof antenna now directly to the receiver (bypassing the
>splitter/connection on the roof and the one in the basement), but I may
>just out of curiosity.
>
>Like Tam said, the Winegard is a glorified RV antenna. In my case its
>worthless, which is a shame being under 14 miles from all the signals.

Tam's right. The Winegard Sensar is a glorified RV antenna.
Glad you got it working. And just in time for the football season ;-)

By the way, I tried the coax straight, just out of curiosity, as well.
No cigar. This Winegard Sensar II just isn't the right antenna for
this. What I am considering, now that you guys brought back all the
memories, is replace the one I have there now (only serves as a
birdstand now anyways) and replace it with a square shooter
http://www.winegard.com/offair/squareshooter.htm

That is a true UHF antenna designed just for this purpose. All I'd
need to do is make a switch, since all the wiring is done already.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:24:10 PM

You use both the Silver Sensor and a Winegard Squareshooter2? Do you
use the preamp with the with Silver Sensor?
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:45:01 PM

Get a preamp at radio shack and I bet it'll increase your sig alot. I've
got a silver sensor and a winegard squareshooter2. I'm 1/2 between DC
and Balt. and get all the locals, no prob. Towers are 15-18 miles
away.--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
August 31, 2005 7:33:36 AM

On 23 Aug 2005 07:39:13 -0700, mikemass@hotmail.com wrote:

Mike, I'm basically in the same situation as you are with two
exceptions: I'm 35 miles away from the "antenna farm" in Cedar Hill,
TX which serves the Dallas/Ft Worth area and I've got one station
(ABC) which operates in the VHF range.

I tried the Silver Sensor and it brought in everything with the
exception of ABC, for obvious reasons. I then decided to gamble and
tried the Winegard Sharpshooter (SS-3000) since it had the capability
of receiving ABC as well.

The Sharpshooter works great! I've now got an indoor antenna that is
low profile, aesthetically easy to get along with and if/when all the
stations head back to VHF, I'll be ready for them.

>Hi folks,
>
>I am about to invest in my first HDTV with built-in HD receiver and an
>OTA antenna and would appreciate some feedback on the latter. According
>to antennaweb.org, my house is about 8.5 miles from all of the UHF
>stations I'd like to get (Boston area) and recommends a "medium
>directional" uhf antenna. My house is on a hill and the TV room is
>oriented such that the tv set would practically be pointed out the
>window toward the ideal direction that antennaweb recommends to receive
>all of the stations. For aesthetic and housemate reasons, I'd strongly
>prefer an indoor antenna placed close to the tv set. There's only one
>problem: my house is surrounded by trees. But beyond a row or two of
>trees, there are no tall buildings or other obstructions for many
>miles. I could mount an outdoor antenna, maybe 20 feet higher up than
>the TV room, but that would not clear the trees either.
>
>So my questions:
>
>1. Is it worth trying an indoor antenna with this setup? If so, any
>specific models to recommend that have worked well for people?
>
>2. Would I likely see a big difference in terms of reception and/or
>picture quality with an external antenna, given my setup? If so, same
>question applies for specific models.
>
>I don't mind trying and returning something if it doesn't work well,
>but I don't want to go crazy with trips to the store. Also, I realize
>that it's hard to predict precisely what will happen with any
>particular antenna or location. I'm just looking for general advice and
>recommendations based on folks' experiences. Thanks!
>
>Mike M.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:09:07 AM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:39:02 GMT Frank Provasek <frank@frankcoins.com> wrote:

| Standard design antennas like this:
|
| http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/hd9065p.pdf
|
| will give 4 to 10 times more power that the square shooter.

My favorite is: http://www.channelmaster.com/images/4228.jpg

September 1, 2005 9:06:19 AM

Well, the Silver Sensor took a small spill and broke. Actually the
wire is attached flimsily inside and broke off. I'll have to fix it.
These antennas are a nightmare.

I am going to try the coax directly from the Winegard Sensar II on the
roof directly to the receiver and see if that works. If not, then I'll
try to reposition it if possible. All this, just to get in HD locals.

DirecTV will have their MPEG-4 receivers available after November 1st
in the top 12 markets or so I've been told. At least then, the locals
in HD will be available.

If I can't get Winegard Sensar II to work, does anyone have a decent,
affordable suggestion? Is the Square Shooter worth it? Would it work?

-Darren, antenna-ed out...
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:17:30 PM

Back to the Winegard Silver Sensar II...

OK...I took the Winegard antenna off the dyplexler and ran the coax
from it throught the bathroom window, down the hall and straight into
the DirecTV HD-10 in the living room. All of a sudden, I started to
get my locals in varying degrees from 77%-93%. I then ran the coax to
the basement to the splitter, then directly up into the living room and
into the receiver. Its still doing pretty good percentage-wise. I
still need to get back outside and tweak the aim, so we'll see if this
works or not. I still kept the dyplexer from the satellite dish to
the receiver though.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:59:05 AM

> Back to the Winegard Silver Sensar II...
>
> OK...I took the Winegard antenna off the dyplexler and ran the coax
> from it throught the bathroom window, down the hall and straight into
> the DirecTV HD-10 in the living room. All of a sudden, I started to
> get my locals in varying degrees from 77%-93%. I then ran the coax to
> the basement to the splitter, then directly up into the living room and
> into the receiver. Its still doing pretty good percentage-wise. I
> still need to get back outside and tweak the aim, so we'll see if this
> works or not. I still kept the dyplexer from the satellite dish to
> the receiver though.

Sounds like you are getting somewhere. I gather the TV won't receive ATSC
without the HD-10.

Tam
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:03:31 AM

You are correct Tam.

Now my next problem is my neighbor's tree which is causing me issues
getting a strong signal from satellite 119. I have DirecTV for the NFL
Sunday Ticket (and to get in HD), but if I am going to have an issue
with the trees, I may ditch the dish and antenna and gasp!, go back to
cable. I get 101 and 110 in, but 119 is spotty.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:40:08 PM

> You are correct Tam.
>
> Now my next problem is my neighbor's tree which is causing me issues
> getting a strong signal from satellite 119. I have DirecTV for the NFL
> Sunday Ticket (and to get in HD), but if I am going to have an issue
> with the trees, I may ditch the dish and antenna and gasp!, go back to
> cable. I get 101 and 110 in, but 119 is spotty.

Yeah, same problem here. I did not even try satellite, being surrounded by
80 - 100 foot oak trees.

Tam
September 5, 2005 7:17:49 PM

"Tam/WB2TT" <t-tammaru@c0mca$t.net> wrote in message

> "proc" <darrenproctor@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You are correct Tam.
>>
>> Now my next problem is my neighbor's tree which is causing me issues
>> getting a strong signal from satellite 119. I have DirecTV for the NFL
>> Sunday Ticket (and to get in HD), but if I am going to have an issue
>> with the trees, I may ditch the dish and antenna and gasp!, go back to
>> cable. I get 101 and 110 in, but 119 is spotty.
>>
> Yeah, same problem here. I did not even try satellite, being surrounded by
> 80 - 100 foot oak trees.
>
> Tam

Just read the many posts about your problems. I have OTA antenna in the
attic and I'm pulling in one signal from 40 miles. I use a rotator (Channel
Master IR remote $99) to swing to my other closer stations that are about 10
miles. I went through some hell getting it this way with trying Radio
Shack's "Best" antenna and it wouldn't get anything. What I wound up with
is a Channel Master 4221 4 bay bowtie unit ($35). It has a pretty good wide
acceptance angle and can pull in distant signals. It has a screen on it to
block signals coming in to the back of the antenna. It is about 4 ft H x 2
ft W x 8 inches D. I use RG6 wire and it is 75 ft. long. Trying amplifiers
and splitters just weakend the signal; so I don't use any now and I only
have one HDTV anyway. My signal strength is about 75% on everything and
mostly that is because I have the antenna in the attic. I have an airport
right across the street with aircraft flying overhead but not directly
overhead and that isn't a problem. The reciever can also be part of the
problem. Some are better at pulling in signals. Mine is an LG 3510A.

BC
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:55:49 PM

proc Wrote:
> You use both the Silver Sensor and a Winegard Squareshooter2? Do you
> use the preamp with the with Silver Sensor?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I use a
preamp with the Silver Sensor.--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:45:57 PM

Thanks, Ray.

As mentioned, I disconnected the diplexers and ran the antenna (into
the grounding strip) and then to the receiver itself. No, the
roof-mounted, Winegard Sensar II is pulling most of my locals in and up
around 90% too. I just have an issue with 2 stations -- ABC Ch. 7-1
and CBS 62.-1 here in Detroit. Both come in from 54-77% and will break
up at times, but at night they lock in quite well (I am wondering if
the signal is weaker during the day?).

I spoke with a Winegard representative today. He was genuinely nice
and took some time to explain things. He said they do a "Train the
trainer" thing where they train the DirecTV installation supervisors
who in turn are supposed to train the installers. They tell them NOT
to use diplexers as each diplexer installed will rob 30% from the
antenna's ability to pull the signal. In my case there were two
diplexers. He said multiswitches can rob 30-75% from the antenna. He
also told me that being within 14 miles of most of the towers to not
use a pre-amp in my case.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:57:05 PM

Proc, to expand a little on my post above. I'm 1/2 way btween DC and
Balt., but my apt has only LOS to the DC towers hence the Silver Senser
to get the Balt stations also. Now, I used the Silver Senser with and
without a preamp and got better results with a preamp. My goal is to
have both antennas connected at the same time. It was suggested at the
SatGuys OTA forum by someone that I use an "antenna combiner" cause a
diplexer did not work. I bought a combiner from Lindsey Electronics in
Canada for $100. Now the combiner works, but I only have the Square
Shooter 2 connected with a preamp bought from RS at $70. All I have to
do now is get another preamp for the Silver Sensor cause without one
the SS2 overpowers the Silver Sensors input. Need to find a happy
medium. In my IMO the RS preamp is pricey, but does a good job and I've
tried a few other preamps. Hope this helps.--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:10:46 PM

Got a email from Summit Source today and they have the new Wineguard
Sharpshooter indoor antenna for around $100. Proc, I have noticed
the same thing durring the day and many things could be degrading the
sig. One of them is the station might not be putting out at full pwr
durring the day and only durring prime time at night. Less clutter in
the air at night, and no sun interferrence. Sun spots and flare ups can
cause daytime probs. Now to use or not to use a preamp is definetly
your choice. I'm about 4mi further from the towers than you are and
the preamp really helped me, but I have trees in my LOS so that might
be the reason.--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:59:23 PM

Hey Ray. I may try the pre-amp. I adjusted the antenna on the roof
last night and am getting both of my problem stations in, but around
65-69%, which is not great, but they come in. The rest of the stations
are in the 80-90% range.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 10:31:30 PM

Proc, Give it a try. You can always take it back. This is basicly a
process of elimination of trying different equipment to fit your
application. I'm still not totally satisfied with what I have, but my
wife says I never am! lol. I might even try the new Winegard
Sharpshooter "just to see" how it works. Good luck.--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
September 12, 2005 7:56:33 AM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:31:30 -0400, raymo721
<raymo721.1v2awy@satelliteguys.us> wrote:

>Proc, Give it a try. You can always take it back. This is basicly a
>process of elimination of trying different equipment to fit your
>application. I'm still not totally satisfied with what I have, but my
>wife says I never am! lol. I might even try the new Winegard
>Sharpshooter "just to see" how it works. Good luck.--Ray

Ray -

I purchased the SS-3000 (Sharpshooter) from Warren Electronic
Distributing in Moline, IL for $77.76 plus $8.75 for shipping (total -
$86.51). I previously had the Silver Sensor which worked well, but
couldn't give me the one VHF station I needed for HD. The Sharpshooter
seems to give me a more "steady" signal input than the Silver Sensor
and works pretty well on VHF as well.

I checked around and Warren seemed to have the best price and have no
problem with returns if it doesn't work. Good luck!
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:14:57 PM

Thanks Stew, that sounds VERY tempting. How much do you have to move
the Sharpshooter around to get your stations, or can you leave it
stationary and still get a good sig on all stations? Does Warren have a
website for ordering? Tks--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
September 13, 2005 3:17:58 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:14:57 -0400, raymo721
<raymo721.1v9d2y@satelliteguys.us> wrote:

>Thanks Stew, that sounds VERY tempting. How much do you have to move
>the Sharpshooter around to get your stations, or can you leave it
>stationary and still get a good sig on all stations? Does Warren have a
>website for ordering? Tks--Ray

I've got it stationary. I purchased the antenna on 8/24 and haven't
moved it once! The Silver Sensor I have was capable, but didn't bring
in all the HD signals in the area. I'm about 40 miles away from the
nearest transmitter and needed an antenna that could handle VHF as
well. Gotta have Monday Night Football!

Warren's website is www.warrenelectronics.com and they carry mostly
quality antennae, amplifiers, etc. I was surprised at the price and
they shipped promptly.

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. It's really not a
bad looking antenna and has a very low profile.

Stew
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:20:24 PM

Are you getting all your local channels in good with the SS-3000
(Sharpshooter)? What type of signal are you getting? 60% 70% 80%
90%? Any of 'em noticeably weaker than others?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:44:39 PM

Stew, yea I googled and found them. Seriously considering getting one
since I'm 1/2 the distance from the towers than you. Oh, the hell with
it! I'm gettin one. I'll explain to the wife later! I'll let you know
how it works. Tks--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
September 14, 2005 2:26:31 AM

On 13 Sep 2005 12:20:24 -0700, "proc" <darrenproctor@gmail.com> wrote:

>Are you getting all your local channels in good with the SS-3000
>(Sharpshooter)? What type of signal are you getting? 60% 70% 80%
>90%? Any of 'em noticeably weaker than others?

Darren, compared to the Silver Sensor, I'm getting about the same
signal strength (70% on UHF). Having said that, the signal obviously
fluctuates, but far less with the SS-3000. I see very little, if any,
change in the signal strength. It just seems to "lock on" and maintain
the signal.

Obviously, I can't compare the Silver Sensor to the SS-3000 as far as
VHF is concerned, but the Sharpshooter brings in my one VHF station at
around 70% as well.

Both VHF and UHF signals are the same distance from me (around 40
miles).
September 14, 2005 2:29:19 AM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:44:39 -0400, raymo721
<raymo721.1vb6cz@satelliteguys.us> wrote:

>Stew, yea I googled and found them. Seriously considering getting one
>since I'm 1/2 the distance from the towers than you. Oh, the hell with
>it! I'm gettin one. I'll explain to the wife later! I'll let you know
>how it works. Tks--Ray

Yeah, Ray....I'd be interested in knowing how you do. I haven't heard
from anyone who has one - possibly because word hasn't gotten out
about them and their "E Field" technology which is definitely a first.
I really hope it works for you. Good luck!
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:32:23 AM

Stew Wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:44:39 -0400, raymo721
> <raymo721.1vb6cz@satelliteguys.us> wrote:
>

> >Stew, yea I googled and found them. Seriously considering getting one
> >since I'm 1/2 the distance from the towers than you. Oh, the hell
> with
> >it! I'm gettin one. I'll explain to the wife later! I'll let you know
> >how it works. Tks--Ray
>
> Yeah, Ray....I'd be interested in knowing how you do. I haven't heard
> from anyone who has one - possibly because word hasn't gotten out
> about them and their "E Field" technology which is definitely a first.
> I really hope it works for you. Good luck!
I found out about the SS-3000 when I was researching the Squareshooter
at their website. I even emailed the marketing guy and was told that
they were'nt in production yet and that was about 5-6 months ago I
think? Anyway the SS-3000 is on its way and I'm hoping at 20mi max
distance from the towers I can get both Balt & DC stations. I'll let
you know.--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:29:14 PM

Well, the SS-3000 arrived Friday and I tried different combinations of
connecting. By itself it did a little better than the Silver Sensor. I
even hooked it up to the Squareshooter pre-amp but that didn't improve
the signal any. So my final connection was to combine it with the
Squareshooter. The Squareshooter pulls in the DC towers at high 80's
low 90's. The SS-3000 pulls in the Balt towers at high 60's low 70's
and with steady levels from each antenna. Before, the Silver Sensor
would have dropouts when combined but did ok by itself. So, this result
is satisfactory for my goals which were to get both city's towers at an
acceptable sig level and not having to get up off my lazy butt to move
the SS-3000 around to get ALL the Balt towers. The only thing I noticed
is sig levels durring the day on the SS-3000 drop but rise durring
primetime while the Squareshooter levels are constant 24hrs a day.
Probable causes could be, 1. The the DC towers run at full power all
the time and the Balt ones don't. 2. The Squareshoooter has direct LOS
and the SS-3000 doesn't. 3. What he hell do I know except I'm
satisfied.---Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
September 19, 2005 8:29:37 AM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:29:14 -0400, raymo721
<raymo721.1vkc7y@satelliteguys.us> wrote:

>Well, the SS-3000 arrived Friday and I tried different combinations of
>connecting. By itself it did a little better than the Silver Sensor. I
>even hooked it up to the Squareshooter pre-amp but that didn't improve
>the signal any. So my final connection was to combine it with the
>Squareshooter. The Squareshooter pulls in the DC towers at high 80's
>low 90's. The SS-3000 pulls in the Balt towers at high 60's low 70's
>and with steady levels from each antenna. Before, the Silver Sensor
>would have dropouts when combined but did ok by itself. So, this result
>is satisfactory for my goals which were to get both city's towers at an
>acceptable sig level and not having to get up off my lazy butt to move
>the SS-3000 around to get ALL the Balt towers. The only thing I noticed
>is sig levels durring the day on the SS-3000 drop but rise durring
>primetime while the Squareshooter levels are constant 24hrs a day.
>Probable causes could be, 1. The the DC towers run at full power all
>the time and the Balt ones don't. 2. The Squareshoooter has direct LOS
>and the SS-3000 doesn't. 3. What he hell do I know except I'm
>satisfied.---Ray

Sounds like you got your problem licked, but I'm surprised the SS-3000
didn't pull in both areas, even if they're at opposite ends of the
compass. After I was asked how mine was set up, I actually moved it
for the first time and faced it toward the transmitter towers, then
away. In both cases I had a steady signal.

I've had days of diminished reception recently too, but from what I've
been reading, it could be from the inordinate amount of sunspot
activity we've had recently.

Glad to hear you're up and running, Ray!
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 9:53:37 AM

I don't think any of the stations here are running at full power yet, so
when they do I'll see what happens. I would love to take the
Squareshooter down cause its in the middle of my deck railing but, oh
well!! Anyway, I'm happy with the results cause now I can watch The
Ravens and Orioles OTAHD!! Oh yea, How bout those Redskins?!?!?! Tks
for the help.--Ray

--
raymo721, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
!