Yeah, Toms already caught this. I think its a good/frustrating thing. Good to see the 4870 coming this soon, and frustrating, because we want them now. Sorta like, I want my gfx card, and I want it NOW. Im hoping something breaks today as far as benchies goes. Im wondering if the NDA has been extended also. I highly doubt it tho, itll just mean more frustration

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
You can bet your life the NDA will be extended. That will put enough doubt in many people's minds to stop them rushing in and buying a GT200 in the first week as there will be no comparison.

Unless it becomes clear to ATI that their product and pricing is vastly superior, in which case the NDAs will be lifted quicker than a ladies skirt on a New Orleans quayside when the Navy are in town.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

I'm not sure that's a good idea. All the NDAs were not able to improve sales of the 2900XT. Or imagine the worst case scenario, a leaked rumor about the release of the generation following the 4xxx series. I hope AMD someday understands that their NDAs aren't doing them any good.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
The ndas might not help increase ATI sales but they hold people off from buying the competitors product. How many people held of buying the 8800GTX for months waiting for the awesome ATI product? howmany would have bothered if the NDA was broken earlier.

ATI can win a small part of a markest share battle and opponents balance sheet battle by reducing nvidias sales even if its not to the benefit of their own, it still makes their market share look better. The moneys better of not being spent than being spent on the oppositions product!

Probably the same reason Nvidia havent been worried about giving 8800GTX owners an upgrade path, their moneys not going to ATI so thats ok.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

There is something really simple to it. If AMD had a superior product, they would have shown numbers - everything else would be unreasonable. In addition only enthusiasts like us are scratching at AMDs door to see the shiny new whatever. The big boys and the average consumer don't care whats cooking at AMDs, they buy what their marketing department or the sales guy at the computer shop suggests.

Yeah, they want a better overall out of the starting blocks performance, and something that works for those allll too unimportant bungholio marks. Plus, theyll have the 4870 with the GDDR5 too, so its all good, except the waiting

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004

Nope. They'll (for the most part) suggest whatever makes them the most $$$. THat means whatever they have on hand, whatever rakes in the most sales and/or commissions.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

I think this is more than likely the issue, because it'd be a shame to totally botch the launch of this card over something like that.

Look at the performance difference of 3870x2 launch vs current drivers; even with the flaws of that design the drivers now are unbelievably better by almost all accounts.

Its only a week later, its not like its months on end. I'd rather a company make sure the product goes out the door in a relatively polished state than an unpolished state.

At least, I hope this is what is going to happen

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I have been trying to watch this development close. What ATi is bringing to the table seems to be new. They really seem to have figured out what they need to do to get their cards to give Nvidia a run for their money. Maybe they bought an 8800 GTX or whatever and realized what works and doesn't, but from the video I saw of the HD4870, its rendering is far superior to the 8800 or 9800 line of card from Nvidia.

I did see the Nvida rendering video and had to say... I was disappointed. It looked very cartoony and just a little clearer than the 8800 line.

ATi rendered an entire city which looks photo realistic and also did a robot, dog, war machine, thing and have to say that I had a real hard time figuring out if it was real or not. The color was spot on, light reflection was perfect, impurity of the models structure realistically effected light (like uneven paint or damaged paint). To see that level of detail was astonishing.

If I had to compare the two videos to tell you how the cards would do, ATi would beat the snot out of Nvidia. But as we all know, Nvida laces their cards with crap and speed and just make damn good cards.

I am really hopping ATI pulls this one off because I want to switch to the 4870 from my sluggish BFG 8800 GTX OC2.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

The 8800 GTX is a sluggish card!?!?!?
Classic case of enthusiast perception.

BTW there's a good chance the 4870 will beat out the 8800 GTX, although that is mostly based on hype.

If the 4850 is 10% faster than a GT, a similar card running 33% faster at clock with a doubled BW should do ok, Im thinking

Thats without the latest drivers, and speculation too, done off a 3D06 bingholio, that cant be compared to the same cards. If ATI did all their revamping as thought, the 3Dmarks wont hold true , that is 3xxx vs 4xxx. It could turn out that the 3D marks from the 4xxx series will show lower, and perform higher than nVidias solutions, like the 1xxx series vs the 7xxx series. So who really knows. Im firm at 4850= or better than 9800gtx

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007

Indeed it has.

The 8800 GTX is a good card... but not for 1920x1200 gaming. You start to feel it work with that resolution. I play Oblivion (yeah I have that super texture pack 3 on it.... but still), Crysis, NFS Carbon, DiRT, WiC, and soon to be Assassins Creed. I am looking anxiously at Far Cry 2 and hope that my system will be able to handle that game.

I do hate to say it, but we are an enthusiast forum.

romulus47plus1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
Btw, Far Cry 2 uses a new engine, Dunia engine. Duno how it works.
I've seen videos of the gameplay and the dude use pliers to take bullets out of his body, not med kit and stuff, dun think it'll get a 9 from gamespot.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
^ it wont get 9... it might get 9.5... the dynamic weather system and 50 hours of single player game play should be enough to give it that score however crappy the story is .. (crysis got that score mostly based on visuals and to an extent the gameplay...the storyline was horrendous)

Anyways yeah its a sad thing those Radeon boys are releasing late...it was expected though.

Well my reading of it is that they are in a good position, if they thought they had a bad product wouldn't it make sense to rush it out to get early market share from die hard ATI fans ? Im not that bad but would have bought a 2000 series card if it had come out first.
As has been said already usually NDA's crumble real quick if a company has a good card. the difference this time i believe is that neither camp knows what the other has. back when it was all pipelines with the 7 series and the X1*** cards they mostly knew the next logical move each other would make.
To me it just dosent make sense to let Nvidia get a run on them unless they now know after the trade show that their card is competative.
Mactronix