sisyphus

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Having always bought computers, can I build a system for < $750 (or even less), preferably around an Intel E8400?

It doesn’t have to be the very fastest, latest, or the jazziest, but should be a decent performer that wouldn’t need to be replaced for 3 years or so. Right now I don’t have huge storage needs, and I don’t want to do any overclocking, tweaking, extra cooling etc. The limit of my gaming is Rome Total War, but the younger generation likes the first person shooter genre and strategy games like Warcraft..

I have a copy of Vista Home Premium, and I can cannibalize the following from my aged Dell Inspiron P4 –

Samsung 22” LCD monitor
Keyboard & Mouse
ASUS DRW-2014L IDE DVD writer (nearly new)
WD 120 GB SATA 7200 hard drive
Seagate 120 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
Creative SB Audigy?

So I guess that leaves the MB, video card, memory, and case and power supply and possibly a larger disk drive (which is not essential) as the missing pieces that have to come in at around $550 or less if I go with the Intel E8400.

Thanks,

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Should be easy.
Since your not planning to OC, a P35 mobo would do nicely I think, and those can be found fairly cheaply.
DDR2 is dirt cheap, get at least 2GB, 4 if budget allows.
The case is personal preference, but I'd find a nice looking Antec and you might even be able to find one with a decent PSU with it.
The problem comes when you start talking video cards. The 8800GT is always a nice choice, and they're mostly below $200 now. The 8600GT would also perform nicely for you I think and it's quite a bit lower I believe.

Hope this helps, I'll try to do a bit more looking around and post back in a bit.

snajper69

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Oki once I get home I give you some sugestions for you to concider AMD but like I said if you plan to OC than I havet o say you better of with Intel. The only thing that I found out over time that usually people that first ask me to build them a system that they will OC they endup trying few times and than going back to stock speed and never looking back. In my opinion OC is for hard core gamers that enjoy tweeking around. And as much I am for it I still don't find a reason for my self to OC unless I am only testing the pottential head room that the system is providing. Most of the time by the time I need OC I decide to build something new because there is so many great lower price better performance parts to choose from. Like with quads right now I don't really see a reason to getting one I would wait till the technology ages and go for it when is mature and pricess are resonable. Just something to concider.