Stabilizing an overclock at a lower VCore

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
What are some methods I could try to stabilize the overclock on my PII 940 at a lower VCore? My sig is out of date actually... I was running 3.8GHz at 1.475V, ran it on OCCT 3 Linpack for some time and everything ran fine, but then the next day I go to boot it up and the thing blue-screens on Windows startup. Lame. So in any case I bumped the VCore to 1.5 volts. What BIOS optimizations can I do to lower this and still stay stable? NB and HT are both at 2.2GHz, Memory is at 2.1V and 1067Mhz, ACC is on Auto.

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002

4 dimms... timings are 5-5-5-15, though for whatever reason it's set itself to 5-7-7-15 in the BIOS right now.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
ok. well, all i can really say that your stuck. thats the cpu you have. unless you get much better cooling, i cant see you lowering voltage and remaining stable.

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Don't NB / HT / Memory / Other settings have an effect on what voltage is needed to stay stable? I mean CPU speed isn't the only thing that determines needed CPU voltage right?

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
thats right, but if the NB voltage isn't high enough, then it should be simple enough to see, such as continuing explorer.exe crashes one right after the other. i haven't had to fiddle with HT voltages before, so i don't quite know how well that would work, memory voltages only affect the memory in AMD cpus. if you want, memtest 86+ to test memory.

some of the few things that affect overclocking the most are
A. voltage
B. Hz
C. specific chip
D. Stepping
E. luck of the draw
F. MOBO
D. Temps (high temps usually mean higher voltage required)

those are the main things to look out for when overclocking. (list not in order of inportance)