Follow up questions to Overclocking Guide - ne one have answers?

laurencewerner

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Hi all,

After having read the 1.7 quad core guide (and even checking out other forums on the subject), there is still a lot of concept surrounding overclocking that I cant seem to get a good grasp around.

NOTE: my stiker II extreme bios (rev 1202 stable) is a little bit different from the bios used in the guide.

First things first, question about voltage:

1-When I set my Vcore to a certain value in the bios (leaving all other settings to auto, except for memory which I set to the values suggested by the manufacturer), a cpuid in windows will always give me a vcore .02XXv to .04XXv more than what I set it to. Is there a way of calculating the final vcore value from the one you put in the bios?
The same happens to my memory, I set it to 1.6v, it goes to 1.64v in windows.

2-In going through other peoples experience with overclocking a Q9550, I noticed several achieved results superior to 4Ghz. From what I could tell from what it took me to get to 3.89Ghz, they definitely have to go over the 1.41v limit suggested by intel. Some even did so with air cooling. Aside from obvious heat issues, does anything else stand in ones way of raising vcore above intel max specs?

3-I would need more details about the PCIE SLOT1&2, Mhz: 100 / PCIE SLOT3, Mhz: 100 / SPP<->MCP Ref Cloc: auto - Cant find this part in the guide... There is similar, but i need to be sure before touching.

4-Are the only factors to consider for a stable overclock Vcore and fsb (and memory ratio of course)?? (considering everything else is done properly, like disabling power saving at first, proper boot config, disabling all that needs (vander, spectrum) The guide says to deal with the advanced stuff after a stable oc is attained. Please clarify.

5- Some say they had to crank the voltages on their memory, or change the frequency a little to get it stable, please comment.

6-When Unlinking my memory (i have 5:4 3:2 or unlinked), My real fsb (i always leave the desired one at 1333 (my memory speed) varies depending on the cpu fsb I try (1833Mhz = 1333mhz ram fsb, but 1834mhz = 1312mhz ram fsb (not exact figues, just gives you an idea). Should I stick with the speeds that give me 1333 fsb? or should I raise my fsb till the actual fsb is properly reflected?

7-My board supports 2000(OC) 1800(OC) 1600(OC) 1333 1066 ram, I am using 1333. What would have happenned if I would have gone with 2000mhz ram? I just wouldnt have used to full potential at fsb under 2000? what does this notation mean? why are some values with the (OC)??? is that just to say to cpu with those fsb stock exist???

Ill leave it at that for now, but Ill bet anything ill have more very soon.

Thanks for your patience and help!!

Also, are there courses (university, college, certificate, private) out there specifically about overclocking today's hardware???? Where did you all pick all this info up?
If I am serious about overclocking and want to do it as perfectly as I possibly can, is going through forums and posting questions the best way to go about learning the ropes?

CHEERS!

Striker II extreme (790i Ultra)
Q9550 stock 2.83Ghz @ 3.68Ghz
Sunbeam Core contact freezer
Evga 9800GX2 @ 700/1750/1100
Corsair XMS3 XHS 4GB DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
640GB @ 7200rpm
Blu ray read

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Can't snaswer all your questions, but here's a start.....

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009